Toolstation.com

Anybody used these, are they as good as Screwfix, (before all the postings slating Screwfix I have never had a problem with them in three years and numerous orders). The products seem similar but somewhat cheaper. I am about to place an order and was going to give them a try.

TIA

John

Reply to
John

I've never used an internet supplier. I use the locl sunday markets, occasionally the local paper and word of mouth. Everything else I can get from local builders suppliers. Does that help?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

I haven't used them but they appear to have been started by the former founders of Screwfix....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You have time to go to Sunday markets and read the local paper??

Sunday markets and car boot sales are the classic outlets for counterfeit products.

Far better and quicker to search for the best on line prices for small things and have an account at a few selected trade merchants for the rest. If a merchant sees a regular flow of business, prices can be negotiated....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Used them for the first time about six weeks ago. Ordered on the website. Arrived next day, all present and correct. Quality seemed fine.

HTH,

Mike

Reply to
mike

Did a phone order Sat p.m., nice chat with west-country girl, got stock confirmation. Turned up Tuesday a.m.

And they don't send me emails.

Reply to
Toby

What you said earlier in the thread Andy fits with the impression I got of them. I gather Screwfix started on the strength of undercutting other suppliers, hence the name, which sounds like a small setup undercutting others on high markup popular products, namely screws and fixings.

But Screwfix has moved a noticeable way from its roots. The stocking of a huge range, the regular supply of thick catalogues and the sheer company size all mean significantly higher run costs and hence sale prices.

Screwfix does not have a monopoly on the supply of these goods, and there is once again an opening for something like Screwfix originally was. So why not repeat the trick? The person who started Screwfix seems to have done just that. A company with a limited range, ok quality, low prices, and no frills.

The low stock fits this picture too.

While toolstation will take some of Screwfix's business, it will also take business from other companies, hence its worthwhile. Also the profits of Toolstation would go to Mr Goddard rather than to Kingfisher. The bare minimum level of information in the toolstation cat will probably ensure it is not well used by people not in the trade. TS looks entirely trade oriented to me, whereas Screwfix cat contains much more information aimed at guiding the less than expert buyer.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I've used them 3-4 times so far, had wrong items on some orders which they've sorted out pronto when I've phoned. Generally OK IME.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I used Toolstation.com last week for the first time. Ordered online on Sunday, got goods all goods ordered on Tuesday morning complete with a FREE gift.

I am impressed and will definitely be using them again.

Well done toolstation.com

Reply to
troubleinstore

What free gift?? I (OP) did my first order on Thursday night, arriving (hopefully) on Tuesday 'cos of the holidays, no mention of a free gift at the 'checkout'

John

Reply to
John