To replace or modify a flourescent luminaire to a LED Luminaire?

365*24=8640 8640*3 = 25920 hours

If someone converts the "continuous hours" value for a LED product into years, they'd get 3 years as a result. Why, that sounds terrible.

Instead, other light manufacturers, make an assumption of, say,

3 hours operation per day, to give a "calendar year" approximation of age. What that does, is multiply the (accurate) 3 year science figure and crib it and make it look like "24 years, of moderate three hour per day usage". Now, doesn't that sound poetic ? If I was Philips, I'd write that on the side of the box.

If you always read their "assumptions" section, you'll get an idea of whether the product reliability has really taken a hit or not. Some new Philips bulbs I bought, it looks like yes, the price of the bulb has dropped, but so have the total service hours, so I'm being jerked around it would seem. I'm not getting a bargain. I only think I'm getting a bargain.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

TBH I am not sure if I have ever fitted a 6ft LED tube.

Reply to
ARW

I have tri-phosphor tubes under the kitchen cabinets. Posh tubes, bought to match halogen as near as possible. Run from Osram electronic ballasts. They are more used than any other lights in the house - often left on when out, as a 'someone at home' light. At least 15 years old. It's possible they don't make as much light as when new - but not obviously so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Philips (or whoever Signify Holdings is) do now seem to say something like 15,000 hours or 50,000 cycles.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have recently, a whole 20 or so of them. Colour is a strong cool white. The ones they replaced had a magenta look about them, very much lacking green. These replacements are brighter than the old and should consume 1/2 the power.

I've also got some 8ft twin tube fittings and wondering what to about those! It's difficult to get 8ft tubes, and no sensibly prices 8ft LED replacements.

Reply to
Fredxx

I thought so, but there seems to be a lot of NOS 8' tubes on ebay at the moment.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are a few. Many listings seem to include 8ft but are out of stock.

I was considering replacing them with 6ft twins, where you can get the LED tube fairly cheaply. Or twin 5fts as they are more common.

The 8ft flouries are quite power hungry.

Reply to
Fredxx