To replace or modify a flourescent luminaire to a LED Luminaire?

In the garage and in the loft I have 4 off 6ft long Fluorescent tube Luminaires. (two in each location)

They are of the high frequency ballast type so there is no starter as such and they are IP65 rated with a polycarbonate cover & clips.

Now I wish to convert to Full LED as I am sick and tired at looking at Candles when it is cold weather outside and don't want to wait till they warm up and reach full brightness.

So which is better and why?

Bypass the internal high frequency ballast and replace the mercury vapour tubes with LED tubes

OR

Take the whole luminaire down and replace in its entirety with an IP65 LED Luminaire?

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
No Name

Cost wise LED lamps replacements are cheaper.

Why use IP65 fittings in the loft?

Reply to
ARW

Polycarbonate is more impact-resistant if you're moving stuff about. Ordinary fluoros don't like being bashed with stuff.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Are they *really* IP65? Totally dust proof and you can squirt a hose at it?

You don't need IP65.

Reply to
Chris Green

To protect the glass tubes from knocks and bumps due to the polycarbonate cover

and

as an extra defence if the roof should leak and knocks out the lighting circuit's RCBO while I am in the garage (no windows) or in the loft (again no windows)

No Name

Absolutely, and an extra layer of protection aghainst the RCBO tripping when teh roof leaks and I need to be up/in there!

Reply to
No Name

yes they are:

Like these:

No Name

His loft must be in a *very tough* neighbourhood to need IP65.

When my roof was failing the worst I had was a few drips under normal conditions and a small torrent in a major storm. It always went downwards and the light fittings in the floor below that suffered.

Nothing worse than a fizz and a pop and it all worked OK again after it had dried out.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My loft you can see out of between the tiles, it was built that way. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Lots of outdoor electrical stuff (such as Lanterns) is only IP44.

Reply to
Chris Green

Maybe he tests his water cannon in the loft?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Adam,

Are there any recommendations you can make for suppliers of LED replcement tubes if I bypass the HF ballasts in all 4 luminaires?

i.e. good quality with a proper white colour, long lifetime and not expensive?

S.

S.

Reply to
No Name

These were recommended in this group. High output and 330 degs. 6500K

PeterC

Ta for the linkies...

I observe the tube only options are 5ft..... My battens are 6ft.....

S.

Reply to
No Name

possibly at

Robin

Ta very muchly!

Reply to
No Name

Got a shaver light and transformer with an 18" 15w florrie. Quick start. Is there an LED tube for that? TLC don't seem to list one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

"They are extremely durable, highly efficient with a lamp life of 3 years, thus reducing maintenance costs."

Only 3 years? Seems a bit short to me. I've got some 6 foot fluos in the garage which have been fine for the 8 years we've been here. Intermittent usage, of course, but according to the wiki (

), it is, in general, a lot longer than 3 years.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

That's a better one!

Reply to
PeterC

Not used a lot but had use before I got them - at least 32 years ago. If I used them more I'd be tempted by the LEDs.

Reply to
PeterC