Tips for pointing flagstones - ?

Hi all

I'm setting about re-pointing the flagstones at the back of our house.

I'm trying to clear out all the old mortar (which is patchy at best), but the gaps are 5mm max, so it's a bit of a job.

I thought I'd make a mix of 3 builder's sand, 2 sharp sand and one cement: would that be good?

And any hints on packing the mortar into these thin gaps, without making excessive mess? I guess I'll be using my normal pointing trowel for the job.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

At 5mm wide, I'd either use just kiln-dried sand, or kiln-dried sand + cement (applied dry). Then just brush it in, and let ground moisture set the mortar.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Why and what on earth for? I don't mean to appear negative but I cannot understand your reason for doing this. 5mm (

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Nick

All you need to know (and more besides!):

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

OP here ...

First: Thanks Mathew - I know about Paving Expert, but he is the encyclopedia, and I was after tips based on practical experience (yeh yeh yeh: nobody more experienced than the PE! But as I said he is the encyclopedia).

Secondly, thanks Phil for a fantastically useful answer!

Thirdly, thanks the other guys, who suggested "just brush in sand". I must say I am tempted: I am liking the thought of that easy solution, and doubly easy because very simple to rake out again when it needs doing again (and again)!! :-D

But Fourthly, I think i will go with Phil's excellent advice. I wanted to put mortar in, because I do have a slight fall on the patio, I am going to add a new drain to the "falling edge", and (in recent years) this patio has sometimes become flooded to a depth of 3" and more: I don't think a simple loose sand packing would be a good idea in those circs: draining off into the new drain will be better.

(/Apologies for that last, long, terribly constructed sentence./)

John

Reply to
Another John

3:1 mixed as for mortar consistency. Some good videos on youtube ... and lots of extra information on Pavingexpert However it 'can go wrong'

I have a very large stone patio & paths all pointed up by 'professional' company whole lot has failed.

Probably going to relay with Resin ... here is how to clear out and repoint:

I will probably use an even better product VDW800 (if I can swallow cost) This will even take vehicle traffic .. not that I have any, but wheelbarrows & kids bikes etc.

Rick Hughes

In article , Rick Hughes wrote: ....

Good grief -- great videos! And that resin looks like great stuff: I see it's German :-( [are we British supposed to be pleased that 'our finance industry is second to none'??? pah! ]

Thanks Rick John

Reply to
Another John

I will be using the product on my own patio & paths due to total failure of sand/cement pointing.

It's made in Germany but there is a UK distributor, unfortunately a 'sole distributor' so you can't look for cheaper prices.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

OP here -- just want to say that I've been doing my pointing this afternoon, and followed Phil's advice to the letter (below): it went very well, in particular the "dry" mix, which made things SO much easier (and cleaner), and also the wood strip (14" by 3" bit of 3-ply in my case), for banging the mic into place.

Cheers again Phil - a big help. Thanks also to Rick for the pointer to Paving Expert's resin mix videos -- didn't use resin but (you know what?) I never thought of using my angle grinder to clear the old mortar before I saw that video! :-D

John

Reply to
Another John