TIP - Fix a liquid spray bottle

I tend to save a few of the cheap cleaner squirty bottles, to re-purpose these for spraying thin oil and even water to spray cool a weld down. Trouble is they soon seem to fail to spray.
Problem - often they stop spraying or don't spray as well as they did. Thinking it might be a failing none return valve I spent a bit of time investigating them and found that the reason they stop, is that they get air in the trigger operated pump. The pumps or not self priming they need to be full of liquid to work. Once air is drawn in they fail.
The fix - put a finger tip over the jet outlet, to act as a one way valve and pump a few times to expel the trapped air.

All the ones I've seen have a one way valve and *are* self-priming. But they are designed for particular liquids (mainly differing in polarity and viscosity) and can fail by wear, distortion, debris, or using the wrong liquid. If you can get it to work by manually priming it that is good, but if the one way valve fails even when primed then it still doesn't work. Best regarded as one or two uses only when used with unsuitable liquids. For instance, I have found that polythene (mainly) spray mechanisms intended for water soon fail when used with 100% isopropanol.
--

Roger Hayter

On 17/02/18 18:09, Roger Hayter wrote:

Can't say I've had that problem. I've got a small (50ml) spray bottle of the sort you can buy at Superdrug for well under a pound. It's used nearly every day with 100% isopropanol and has been going for at least 10 years. I didn't expect it to last more than a few months, but it has certainly surprised me with its longevity.
--

Jeff

That seems unfair! Presumably a slightly different type of plastic.
--

Roger Hayter

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 18:09:10 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org (Roger Hayter) wrote:

The question we should be asking is, what happened to refills? It breaks my heart when I throw a sprayer bottle (bathroom/kitchen cleaner, anti-mould spray etc) away, recallling the time when you could at least buy a refill to fit the same sprayer. Plus, all those little bits of plastic in the trigger mechanism -- and did someone mention springs? -- are deadly for marine life if such items find their way into the oceans.
MM
On Monday, 19 February 2018 10:09:30 UTC, MM wrote:

You can still get refills. They're called Aldi cheapo handwash or shampoo or some such, 55p a litre.
NT
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:12:30 +0000

Buy stuff in 5 litre containers, transfer to dispensing container.
On Monday, 19 February 2018 21:31:56 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

I've never seen anything competitive in gallon containers. How much can you get them for for hand soap?
NT
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:05:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

I pay £5.99 plus VAT as one-offs, for 5 litres.
On Monday, 19 February 2018 23:38:16 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

1 litre at Aldi 55p. Gallon containers of chems always seem to be much more expensive, even after diluting to the same rate as retail stuff.
NT
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:05:13 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No idea - I just get whatever's cheapest in Lidl, and try to live with my eco-conscience. :-)

or squeeze bottle whilst pumping.
DerbyBorn wrote on 17/02/2018 :

You would think so, but no - squeezing only worked whilst squeezing - my guess the vacuum created in the container, broke the priming as air was drawn back in. As soon as I stopped, the pump stopped working. I did rather expect that they would have an air vent to allow air in, as the liquid was expelled, but again no - the pump top/cap seemed to provide an airtight seal. I only had two versions to work with, but the fix worked with both.
On 17/02/2018 13:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I usually find (with antibacterial sprays and polishes) that they stop working when they are low, because almost every one is assembled with the dip-pipe positioned incorrectly.
They are often used spraying downwards at 45° or so onto a cloth or a flat surface, the liquid runs to to bottom, front, but the dip-pipes are almost always assembled to the bottom, rear.
Remove, turn 180° and replace.
SteveW
On Saturday, 17 February 2018 13:35:40 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've got 2 that have worked many years over & over. But no idea what makes it keep going, might be handy to know.
NT
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 23:47:55 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Same here - my best one can be set to Spray or Jet. I use the spray for damping small areas (I use a filler that needs a damp substrate) amd for mixing small quantities of filler: spray jently to fix the surface of the powder, use jet to get water into the heap, start to mix, use spray to add water all over until the mixture is OK. It avoids what I call 'Polyfilla ping-pong'.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I bought a pack of half a dozen 'commercial quality' spray bottles from eBay, for something like a tenner. They are used for commercial hand car washing, things like that.
They are much better quality than any of the 'disposable' types you get, I think they have better (nitrile?) washers for starters.
I'd have preferred if they had square section bottles (for storing) but that's not a bit deal.
I would like to get some commercial quality smaller bottles, like the Superdrug-style perfume ones, but I haven't seen any of those
HTH Jon N
On 17/02/2018 13:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

are you people allowed to vote ?????