Time Locks

Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get a time lock from? I'm talking about the kind that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whatever and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside once set.

I've looked on Ebay but nothing really fits the bill without having to buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

Reply to
orion.osiris

Could one ask what sort of thing you are going to lock up for three days? IE is it a door, or something small? There used to be some electronic locks like this I seem to remember, and they failed safe if the battery went down, ie they opened, so yu did not have to use a drill to get them open!

I'm sure it was an american company, but further than that I cannot recall. Ideal for the kind kidnapper I thought.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whatever = and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside on= ce set.

y the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

The size isn't relevant, since I'm only after the lock mechanism. I'm going= to attach it to an old wooden microscope box I have lying around.=20 I've thought about cobbling something up using 555 timers, but cannot seem = to get any info on the maximum delay the things are capable of. All the cir= cuits I've seen on line are for short durations only; seconds rather than d= ays. I could cobble something up from scratch using high value capacitors a= nd resitors to get sufficient discharge time, but it involves a lot of faff= ing about and time-consuming experiment and I'd sooner just pay for somethi= ng that works...

Reply to
orion.osiris

d that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whateve= r and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside = once set.

buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

ng to attach it to an old wooden microscope box I have lying around.=20

m to get any info on the maximum delay the things are capable of. All the c= ircuits I've seen on line are for short durations only; seconds rather than= days. I could cobble something up from scratch using high value capacitors= and resitors to get sufficient discharge time, but it involves a lot of fa= ffing about and time-consuming experiment and I'd sooner just pay for somet= hing that works...

I'd use a binary divider on a mains waveorm

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net presented the following explanation :

A 555 cannot span that amount of time a CMOS version is slightly better, but still not three days.

Your only way to do it would be with cascaded counter circuits, running on a slow running oscillator - maybe use a 555 for the oscillator.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

e:

d that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whateve= r and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside = once set.

buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

ng to attach it to an old wooden microscope box I have lying around.

m to get any info on the maximum delay the things are capable of. All the c= ircuits I've seen on line are for short durations only; seconds rather than= days. I could cobble something up from scratch using high value capacitors= and resitors to get sufficient discharge time, but it involves a lot of fa= ffing about and time-consuming experiment and I'd sooner just pay for somet= hing that works...

Arduino is the new 555 ;-)

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Programmable boiler thermostat?

Or 555 running at 1Hz (say), throw that into a counter, use a comparator to compare it against a bunch of DIP switches which set the desired time.

18 bits @ 1Hz will give you just over 3 days maximum. Not exactly a nice UI if you need to change the trigger time often, of course :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hi Another idea may be to buy a cheep 12v digital time clock (around £8) and use this to switch a 12v lock/solenoid/magnet etc. Can be cobbled using a small 12v SLA battery but bear in mind current drain otherwise battery will go flat. If mains operation is possible any small timer can be used or even an old central heating controller,only restraints would be size. Most electrical locks come as standard in both Fail secure (locked if no power) or fail safe (open on power fail). HTH CJ

Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get a time lock from? I'm talking about the kind that you find used in safes that stay locked for so say 3 days or whatever and then release automatically and that cannot be overriden from outside once set.

I've looked on Ebay but nothing really fits the bill without having to buy the whole safe and I only want the lock. Any ideas?

Reply to
CJ