Time for a new desk top PC, recommendations please

Yes. It was noisy, SCSI discs ever were. The soundproofing worked well though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Get an ex-corporate off eBay and stick Linux or BSD on it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, although you may want to fit a better graphics card, and there may be nowhere to fit one. Servers also usually lack some of the power- saving options such as suspend-to-RAM or suspend-to-HDD that are useful on a desktop that isn't always-on.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Absolutely not here.

That's not generally the case with PCs. I've built and run Windows desktops for more than a few years and haven't ever experienced any of them 'fail catastrophically'.

Now ru8nning several PC/Linux machines. None havce failed catastrophically although there is not much of this one left from original. Its all been upgrade over the last 10 years. think the DVD drive and case are original..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what I did between 1989 and 2012 or so. I didn't want fancy graphics.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No.

It's not really the fans but the way the air is passed along and across the devices that need cooling. I've opened these things up and there are routes the airflow takes rather than just pumping through as much air as possible.

Then why not use the turbins that boats use in water or propelles from aircraft. ?

Well you need to design the products to do a specific job well, and that included areodynamics which aren't just used in planes and cars.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have used Medion Windows PCs for the last 15 years or more. Very good built quality and components. Machines have always been left on 24/7, and have been used extensively 7 days a week.

A couple of hard drives showed worrying signs and were replaced before any problem arrived.

Other that that not a single component has ever dies on me.

Reply to
JoeJoe

They are now done by Lenovo from ,memory.

What were the worrying signs ? And what were the drive brands ?

I have been using Samsungs over that time and have never had a problem and I use my systems like you do. I used to run two machines, the previous best for the PVR but now just use the one i5 machine for everything. I assemble them myself using asus motherboards.

I havent even had one component die. Not even a fan or power supply.

Reply to
2987fr

Trigger's Broom ....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

"Grandfather's axe" being the original expression from which the OF&H gag was derived (hence the derogatory expression, "That's rather derivative." usually applied to popular music).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Precisely.

The reason this one got upgraded was that the onboard ethernet got a bit flaky, and it hated booting with a USB webcam plugged in.

So a new motherboard and RAM went in.

The drive had been SSDed some time before and it had fast graphics card as well for real time games

The server just grew like topsy..it gets more and more disk added every5 years or so when the existing disks start to go flaky.

But at heart its an old XP era mnini tower notherbaord and RAM. You dont need a lot of power in as a server, or RAM. Just disk slots.

a 386 era machine back in the day could fully saturate a 100Mbps ethernet connection.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a great story that both establishes a philsophical isse of 'identity' and the stupidity of allowing a semantic description to override the reality, and also the idea that a computer is not a discrete entity, except in the mind. It is a collection of user interchangeable components any one of which may be upgraded without reference to any other. Although new MB needs new RAM ususally.

Cases cost money. £60 these days with PSUs.

Motheboard and RAM and CPU? Well boards and RAM arent bad but CPUS have gone through the roof. Intel stuff is top £100-200 for ANYTHIUNG. Gone are the sub £100 CPU days.

Best MB/RAM/CPU deal I found is around £130 for an AMD class mobo.

Reflecting the market where a home PC is now an ARM chip in a smartphone of fondleslab.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bullshit with celeron and pentium cpus.

Reply to
2987fr

Or the Genuine Saxon Axe (three new heads and two new handles).

if you want to sound clever.

Reply to
Max Demian

Thought it was Arkwright's in Open All Hours? No?

No it was triggers in OFAH but wouldn't suprise me if Arkwright had a similar system in place.

Reply to
whisky-dave