Time and cost to fit a boiler

We need a new boiler fitted in a one bedroom flat in London. There's currently a non-condensing unpressurised system (ie header tank) with a hot water cylinder. Pump, gas meter and timer are all in the same cupboard in the centre of the house and the thermostat is on the other side of the cupboard wall - ie the install really should be simple. I realise that we'll need a condensing boiler and the condensate will have to be pumped up to roof level to drain.

I'm reckoning on replacement boiler cost of

Reply to
b33k34

Yes I'd also like an answer to this. I've been out for quotes for a new condensing (not combi) boiler to be installed directly above my existing floor standing boiler. Gas, flow & return, & controls are all within 1metre of the new installation point, there's waste trap for the condensate drain also within 1metre. Best quote is 1800 quid (ex-vat) and the boiler they specced I could go and buy retail for 700 quid. That's 1100 quid labour for what I'm told will be 1 1/2 days work, notwithstanding the fact they'll get a trade price on the boiler.

I respect the right of any good tradesperson to make a decent living but this is bl**dy extortion by my book. Why does gas fitting (sorry heating engineering) carry such a premium ??

Reply to
Bovvered?

Supply & Fit in a 1 bed flat should not cost more than £1000 all including the boiler. A good plumber can fit a boiler in 4 hours so £300 max.

I'm reckoning on replacement boiler cost of

Reply to
Ray

To disconnect our back boiler and fire (left in place for me to remove later), remove all old hot water piping + header tank/cylinder, then replace with a combi boiler in a different room, was a days work for 2 at our house. Original radiator piping was used, under the provision that it may start leaking with the extra pressure (it didnt). Even the council workers fitted a new boiler into next doors bungalow in a day, along with an extra long gas supply pipe running all around the house, and a new flue going through the roof. Obviously if there access limitations, then it would take longer, but any decent pair of fitters could do the work in a day so long as no problems are encountered. £2.5k does sound a little on the steep side, though ours was £1400 8/9 years ago, so may not be too much at todays prices. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I would seriously question the competency of any Corgi reg. plumber who would fit a new boiler for £1000, as part of his job. If it was 'on the side' for a mate, then it may be possible. But not in

4 hours.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Get a list of CORGI fitters in your area from their website. Get a few in to get a ballpark figure. Ring them all back and tell them they can have the job for £XXX and you're not in a hurry. One of them will need the work. I got mine installed for £350 labour instead of £800 (and that was a nice morning's work thanks very much). They're not all as busy as they say they are

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The going rate for this work (which in truth if done properly is three or for days work) is about £2000 +/-.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The time on site is only a part of the job. What don't you do it yourself? What's stopping you? Skills? Experience? Qualifications? Your time?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Could you itemise exactly how you would go about the simplest combi to combi exchange in four hours. I think it might /just/ be possible to make a functional system in that time. There would have to be a large number of (illegal) short cuts. Circumstances would have to be dead right. Clearing up and making good minimal. The boiler would have to be very like the original. No flushing of the radiators. No upgrading of the controls. No checks no tests. No paperwork. And the boiler would have to average quality/price at best.

In practice boiler exchanges are rarely simple, they form part of the larger job of renewing the heating system. There is a lot to do.

Do you want me to itemize exactly what is needed in a very typical conventional to combi exchange,including removing a Harcopak unit from a cupboard that was built after it was installed. etc.etc.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Here, Here could not agree more - plumbers these days are piss takers.

Reply to
Ray

Yeah right dream on.

Reply to
Ray

The fact that I can't touch anything gas related due to selve serving regulations designed to perpetuate work for overpaid corgi registered heating engineers

Reply to
Bovvered?

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Sounds high to me, but then, I'd have done it myself

Look at the date and the weather, do you think that fitters are short of work at the moment?

They can pick and choose

Reply to
geoff

In message , Ray writes

not on this planet, not in January

p.s. good plumbers are not short of work ATM

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

f*ck - what am I doing replying to top posters ?

Reply to
geoff

Ray coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ed does this sort of thing for a living. He also has an excellent reputation on this group, a quality unlikely to be associated with being a rip off merchant. How many boilers have you fitted?

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

Bovvered? coughed up some electrons that declared:

No. CORGI membership + requisite qualifications are required for doing gas work for hire & reward. If you do your own, you are required to be "competent" to do the job (including testing) safely. If you are up to it, no-one is stopping you. If you're not, and you injure someone, the judge may attribute competence or otherwise after the fact.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

or in rental properties.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm reckoning on replacement boiler cost of

Reply to
Mark

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Which is totally reasonable IMHO.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to