Timber decking gap

There seems to be some conflict of opinion in the gap needed between timber decking planks. B&Q (And some websites) recommend 3mm...some websites recommed 10mm...etc.

I'd like to keep the gap minimal as it stops stuff falling between the planks..

As the gaps are purely to stop water collecting and to allow for lateral expansion. what is the minimum gap needed?

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

PS: Softwood timber decking secured with proper decking screws.

Reply to
sPoNiX

I used 10 mm but that was too big, if I did it agagin I would go for 5 mm.

Reply to
John Woodhall

I did them virtually touching early in Spring so the gap after the recent dry weather is now about 7mm average. Of course they may swell up too much in winter.

Reply to
G&M

I built my decking two summers ago. I used some flat woodbit drills as spacers (about 3mm-ish) which had the advantage that the sharp point stuck in the framework below the deck so the spacer didn't move as I was screwing down the deck, and I could easily pull them out later. The gap hasn't opened or closed up much, despite the extremes of climate we have in tropical Milton Keynes.

I guess the quality of the timber used for the deck will have an impact on how big to make the gap, as will the state of it when you get it delivered (i.e. has it been stored outside for along time etc).

Good luck

Kev

Reply to
Kevin