Tiling onto Wood ?

There was a thread recently where it was suggested / confirmed as "the way to go", where it was OK to tile onto WBP suitably prepared.... I can't remember how to "suitably prepare" and can't find the thread......

Can anyone point me to this please ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Can't point you to the thread, but putting tiles onto plywood happens quite a lot in the canal boat world. The consensus there (where the plywood is often sloping due to the "tumblehome" of the cabin, and also prone to vibration from the engine) is to use cork tile adhesive.

I've certainly done so in the those circumstances with complete success

- with ordinary tile adhesive the tiles fell off after a few months. Cork tile adhesive has lasted for years.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Hi Nick, Thanks for the reply - I will read up on it - others have suggested "swimming pool grade" adhesives which is probably the way I will go.

Thanks again,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

You will need a cement based powder adhesive which you then mix wit water plus a flexible admix. The admix increases the adhesion and add flexibilty to allow for any movement in the ply, it sticks like s**t t a blanket.You will also need to prime the ply with the same flexibl admix. You can get the adhesive in regular or fast set and white o grey depending on the tiles/grout you will be using. You can get i from any decent tile shop and they can advise you on mixing etc. This stuff isn't non slip so you will need to leave battens in plac until its set. I mix it with an electric drill and mixing paddle, it saves a lot o time and work

Nick H