Tiling onto 18mm plywood

Hiall. Should I treat this wood before aplying tiles to it? And..vot vid?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

I never bothered.

Just use a thick (>6mm) stiff bed of quality FLEXIBLE adhesive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

I'd be inclined to give it a weak PVA coat, to stop the moisture being drawn out of the adhesive before it sets.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Be very careful some tile adhesives warn you off using PVA on wood (even plaster) as the PVA stops the adhesive soaking into the wood, thus fails to grip.

Reply to
Ian_m

Ardex, a company whos products I have grown to respect, seems to imply a sealer (P51) is in order, so I guess thats the fullk monty. I didn't bother though, and all is fine here.

I did PVA the screed tho IIRC..

The Natural Philosopher

Can be a bad idea. Discuss with the adhesive manufacturer first. Ardex and BAL both advise against it because it weakens the bond.

Reply to
Andy Hall

This has large format limestone tiles which are very heavy.

Reply to
Andy Hall