tiles sizes

I asked for some white gloss tiles "100 x 200" (only 20 to try out a test p= anel) and they are actually about 198 x 98 mm. They are HR Johnson, a tradi= tional English tile maker who make many tiles to imperial sizes, so I wonde= r if theses are to line up with inch multiples after the grout line is incl= uded. Anyway, how common is it for tiles to be sizes slightly smaller than expect= ed ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

panel) and they are actually about 198 x 98 mm. They are HR Johnson, a traditional English tile maker who make many tiles to imperial sizes, so I wonder if theses are to line up with inch multiples after the grout line is included.

At the recommended spacing of 2mm between tiles, they each cover

100x200mm, as you want.

A lot of building materials are not sized as you might expect, so, for instance, brick panels and walls are sized in multpiles of 225 by 75 mm and thicknesses of 112.5mm, while bricks are (nominally) 215 x 102.5 x

65mm. The mortar gaps make up the difference.
Reply to
John Williamson

st panel) and they are actually about 198 x 98 mm. They are HR Johnson, a t= raditional English tile maker who make many tiles to imperial sizes, so I w= onder if theses are to line up with inch multiples after the grout line is = included.

The other samples I got were exactly the stated size (they were 100 x 300).= Its just a pain when you need to replace a broken tiles in the future. You= end up with little piles of spare tiles stashed somewhere just in case.

Talking about sizing, I've always been impressed how when I do a stud wall,= the studs + plasterboard always gives a nice 3mm less than the door lining= to a allow for plaster. Strangely, the same thing seems to happen whether I use rough timber bang o= n 2x4 or 2x3, or regularised / PAR timber that is a few millimetres smaller= . Maybe they are intelligent door linings that adapt to their surroundings.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson