Tiles are on wood partition

I am taking the top two layers of tiles off in the shower room (6 x 6 ft) So far two walls have a layer of tiles so tiled on tiles, and I presume plasterboard behind that. The other two walls (internal) are plywood sheets, When I retile should I tile on to the plywood or put some plasterboard on first. The tiles are coming off quite easily from the plywood so should be a decent surface.

Secondly what would be best type of plasterboard to get for shower room that will be moisture resistant.

Reply to
ss

Aqua panel is best for damp locations

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wood isn't ideal for tiles as it tend to 'move' rather too much.

The tiles provide the waterproof barrier. So normal plasterboard will be fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on the thickness, of course. 18mm ply's not moving anywhere much. But if it's thin stuff...

Reply to
Adrian

I am thinking my best option now that I have a clearer picture having removed some more old tiles that the 2 parts of the walls that are plywood and mainly in the shower enclosure area is to clad that in aqua panels, and replace other plasterboard as required and tile those areas.

Reply to
ss

Not so with a good quality WBP and properly fixed ply, the movement is nil. I did this job in my bathroom some twenty years ago and the tiles are still in position.

The ply 3/8" WBP birch ply was securely fixed using rust proof fixings, PVA applied to the surfaces, tiles soaked in water for (IIRC) some ten to fifteen minutes (or so) before fixing, water resistant (swimming pool quality) tile adhesive and grouting used.

Also tiled were a couple of ply removable access panels - one of which was recently taken off to have the tiles 'doctored' with ubiquitous angle grinder to fit around a pan connector by the plumber and mate who fitted a high-seat toilet pan for me.

Those tiles didn't move at all during that 'abuse' and the panel refitted without any problems.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Unfortunately I dont have a choice with the grade of ply so have to decide to tile on ply or not. Correcting myself.... I did mention earlier I may just go with Aquaboard in that area.

Reply to
ss

Presumably you don't know much about the ply fitted. If its stayed good for n years, it's good enough to stay good for n years. Reckon I'd choose cement board over ply if replacing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr