Plaster/lath replacement for bathroom?

I've just knocked off 2 walls of tiles from a bathroom, and brought off the plaster with them. All of the lath wooden slats are showing.

The walls will be re-tiled. What is the best way to repair the walls before tiling? Plasterboard screwed on, then tiled over? Or sheets of plywood?

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Firstly, you should rip off all the laths as well; their thickness will be uneven (traditionally they used to be manufactured by an apprentice wielding an axe!) so anything you attach over the top runs the risk of being uneven too.

If the walls are going to be within a shower, then I'd use aquapanel behind the tiles - won't be trashed by water if any does get through - but anywhere else, plasterboard.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Bonding plaster for a small area.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats pretty drastic, although the A1 class solution.

If you tile properly and seal plasterboard is in fact fine. If you have enough water ingress to turn plasterboard soggy, you have a serious wood rot problem as well.

Plasterboard applied via dot and dab is also well able to cope with an uneven surface.

I have to say that overall my favorite surface for building tiled bathrooms out of is MDF.

It takes screws, it stays pretty damned flat, and it can add a lot of stiffness that help stops tiles flaking off in flimsier studwork.

Its cheaper than hiring a plasterer, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the laths are mostly undamaged, re-plaster it with Carlite bonding. Otherwise, you are making an awful lot of work for yourself.

Reply to
Bruce

Re-plaster would be the proper way. Failing that either strip the lath and plasterboard, or if you don't want to do that you will need to dryline it using dot n dab. Take care to put the dabs mostly over the studs and noggings to eliminate as much flex from the mounting points as possible.

Reply to
John Rumm