Tile removal mess

Further to my recent thread about my SDS tile removal ripping off lots of the paper on the plasterboard surface:

Given that lining with new paper would look bad if only done where the tiles were, would I be any better off with a thin layer of plaster? (Some of the area will be retiled, so it doesn't matter, but much will be painted.)

Antony

Reply to
antgel

The paper is actually part of the structural integrity of the board -- it will be significantly weakened if that's damaged.

A reskim always looks better than lining paper in my view.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would be surprised if SDS tile removal on plasterboard left a surface which you do much with - other than perhaps sticking more tiles on it. Since plasterboard is dirt cheap why not cut your losses, and rip it out and replace it.

Reply to
Set Square

Does the whole wall need to be reskimmed or can it just cover the formerly tiled area? I ask as if it's (1), I'm not doing it, but if it's (2), I'll have a crack. :)

Antony

Reply to
antgel

Obviously there will be a difference in level of the skimmed and unskimmed parts - you can't feather the edge of a skim coat to hide it. Probably easiest to cut out the manky board and replace with new

- a taped seam in the board will be easier to hide. Or you could cover the whole lot with new board.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Grr. The plumber was the one who actually did this. Git. I am going to patch the holes, and give it a skim. If it come out like crap then I'll replace the board. I know it's cheap but I've never done it before and I don't think I'm in a hurry to learn.

Antony

Reply to
antgel

If you are skimming a wall, it's best to do it all unless it's a very big wall and the area needing skimming is small. You can't feather a plaster edge by just making it thin to nothing, so you're going to have a line where the skimming stops unless there's already a step in the wall surface which is the tickness of the plaster skim.

You don't need to skim behind tiles at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel