Tile cutters & cutting

Take a 5mm rip of the edge. You mean if you forgot to measure the grout gap both sides of a tile. No, I'd never do that :(

1cm/s, that's faster than I thought. Floor tiles will obviously take longer.

Anyway. Plasplugs cutter ordered. More fun next week!

Reply to
Grumps

Mmm. ordinary wall tiles do faster than that..thats about right for 10mm natural stone tho.

I don't think Ive used a tile that could be scored and snapped for AGES.

And you can't score and snap cutouts for pipes..or score and snap mosaic tiles...or even make L shaped pieces...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On tiles, anyone know the best grout for floor tiles, preferable waterproof for a bathroom? White floor tiles. Any tips on making a pro job too in the finishing of the grouting.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Very very easy and very very fast; similar to using a circular saw on wood. Straight cuts are done using the fence or cutting to a line; internal curved cuts are done by cutting along the chord then radially to the curve line and breaking out with a pair of pliers, external curves are cut directly. Angles can be easily cut but I haven't had to do this. Personally I wouldn't have a cut edge on display, but that's true regardless of how the tile was cut.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Ardex Flex FL/FS. FS < 3mm, FL > 3mm. Not the easiest to find, but worth the search. The website has a stockist locator.

to shape the grout using a tool. Unshaped grout looks rank. Finally, ensure you seal the grout, which stops it going off when wet. Use the same sealant as the tiles, if the tiles need sealing. (i.e. Lithofin MN/KF Stainstop). If the tiles don't need sealing, use Lithofin KF Grout Protector.

Available from

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So you're another advocate of putting the tiles under the skirting. It's funny how many posters here suggest this, yet I've never seen it done.

Reply to
Grumps

Yes and no. I've just removed and refitted the skirting, but only because it was easy and part hadn't been fitted yet. I run a small bead of silicone (3 cheers for Fugenboy) around all floor/wall joints to deal with movement so if you have the tiles butting against the skirting the cut edge would be hidden by the silicone.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Interesting. I used Bal grout and was told that it didn't need sealing - you've got me wondering now. But if it doesn't need sealing in a shower, why would it need sealing on a floor?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It does benefit from sealing in a shower. The floor gets all sorts of cr*p on it and benefits from sealing also.

OK, most grout manufacturers say that no further treatment is necessary. However, in most cases it is very beneficial whatever they say.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Most makers claim all sorts of crap. Most say their white grout floor grout stays white and doesn't discolour. I have found few that does.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Tiles and skirting don't normally go together anyway IMO. If you tile, you tile to the floor I would have thought.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Perhaps. But I was originally talking about floor tiles. I think this could run and run, as everyone seems to have their own preference.

Reply to
Grumps

What would a professional use? Epoxy Grout

tips on making a pro job too in the

would you better at this then plumbing ?

Reply to
George Tingsley

Did you stipulate ...cut on the line or cut to the side of the line ...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I'm not a plumber. But I could lay tiles far better than anyone ever known.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well I certainly didn't say start on the line and end up the other side.

Reply to
Grumps

The answer is it reall *does* need sealing in the sense that it will discolour sooner if you don't. I used the Lithofin grout protector over a year ago and the grout really does look pristine even in the shower.

Reply to
John Rumm

to look a bit grey or brown.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did a shower about 2 years ago with white bal grout and it also looks pristine (without sealer) - but being white it would be easy to resurrect if it got discoloured. The one I've just done is Ivory so I think I'll take your advice and seal it. I've got a couple of litres of silicone waterproofer (as used on brickwork, etc) - I wonder if the Lithofin is the same(?)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It claims to be a polymer of some description, it is clear with very low viscosity and low odour - certainly no acetic acid type of smell as it dries, so it is probably not silicone based.

Reply to
John Rumm