Need tile cutting tip (2023 Update)

rent a wet saw for a day to do all your cuts, or take them to lowes and have them do it on their wet saw for a very small fee.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Porcelain tiles can be a bitch. Time to rent/borrow a wet saw.

RicodJour

I'm trying to cut 18"x18" porcelain tiles with a cutter I got from Lowes. If I cut a tile more or less in equal peices, it snaps OK. If I try to cut

3" off a side, the big piece usually gets chipped 1/2" in the corner where I snap it. Is there some secret for using the tile cutter, especially when trying to snap off smaller pieces?

Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
KenM

Are you placing the tile score line on a sharp edge to break it and are you using a tool that is 18 in long to break it?

Reply to
JimL

Don't use a snap cutter for porcelain. Wet saw.

Reply to
Big Al

Sounds like everybody agrees. Get a wet saw.

Ken

Reply to
KenM

Depending on the job size even a cheap one (88.00) is better than the ol snap method.

If you have to make holes, go for a rotozip (or anything similar) to make any size hole or opening.

Reply to
BocesLib