tile adhesive thickness

I'm trying to plan a tiled hearth. It will be in 146x146mm square tiles on chipboard using flexible wood floor adhesive. These come out to 150x150 when there's a 4 mm gap.

I want them to overhang the top by one tile thickness and lay a layer of tiles round the sides. The question is how much thickness should I allow for the adhesive once it's dried to calculate how big the chipboard panel should ? Is this significant?

Reply to
andyv

Well, the thickness of the tile adhesive is not critical, so allow (say)

2-3mm if you're feeling confident or 5-6mm if you're not!

When you say "once it's dried", you should be aware that tile adhesive doesn't significantly shrink when it goes off.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

When I were a sprog, I seem to remember Nestles (now 'nest lays') condensed milk being used as a tile adhesive on the fireplace. Anyone else remember this?

John

Reply to
JTM

With flexi chip and a hearth, I'd go for 4-5mm thickness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher