Thread cutting 3/4" galvanised tube

3/4" BSP actually has a larger OD than 25mm.
Reply to
Fredxx

Yep - 26.9 mm.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I rather assumed that it would be! But as I have never cut 1/2" either, wasn't sure where either lies on the "tough to cut" scale.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I have the flanges I plan to screw the pipe ends into. That was the easy bit!

I want rigidity and low flexibility. Am trying to make some tools! Will post piccies eventually.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I'd say you could buy a cheap welder capable of doing steel tube for less than the cost of the vice and dies?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebbut ruins the galvanising.

Reply to
harry

Maybe! And an interesting approach but it would not work for me as I need to be able to disassemble parts. Sure, it could do some bits, but not all. By the time you add a welding mask, rods, and time and effort learning how to weld (and waste from so doing), maybe not.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Wouldn't be the end of the world - I could even use ungalvanised tube - but thought starting out with some zinc would help reduce the likelihood of rusting over the years.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I had both pipe vice on stand which formed part of a conduit bending kit and a set of manual 1/2" to 2" pipe thread stocks & dies which I used prior to retirement. I don't know where you are but what you're proposing is pretty trivial in the scheme of pipefitting. A word of caution- trying to grip round steel pipe in a normal vice tight enough to cut a thread will result in crushing it out of shape. I'd suggest cutting your lengths ready to save time then hire kit over a weekend to cut the threads. Are HSS still around in your neck of the woods?

Reply to
Cynic

Thank you. Yes - we have HSS but another company offers a pipe threader at a more sensible £20 a day (rather than £87). Need to check with them tomorrow if there are any extra charges for the cutters.

Is there anything special about the cutting lubricant? Or would I get away with ordinary lubricants?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

The HSS is an *electric* pipe threader.

HSS manual pipe threaders are about £40 a day.

I assume the £20 a day is for a manual threader? But if that is sufficient then it is a far more sensible price!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If its galvanised, though surely the act of cutting removes this, and if you want to remove it, it might rust up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

It's about 10 years since I did any thread cutting, but I think I used a pot of tallow. You could just ram it over the end of the conduit.

Reply to
charles

Galvafroid paint?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Following up my own post, I see that TLC call it "cutting compound". They wouls also sell you all the tools. A complete set for 20 & 25mm is £36 + vat

Reply to
charles

so does putting a thread on it or cutting to length.

Reply to
charles

Yes, true, but slapping a bit of suitable grease on should protect it where the threads mesh. And I'll probably end up painting the rest eventually. (Yes, I know the issues of painting zinc.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

No - it is electric.

One of these:

(Might be a slightly higher or lower spec. or an older model but looked like this and is this make.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

The usual issues - ends up nearer £50 with delivery and the cutting compound.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Welding thick stuff like tube pretty easy. And many cheap welders from Lidl etc give you everything you need.

Have you price up the dies etc needed? The ones I bought years ago for conduit weren't cheap then. But of course may be now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)