Thoughts on living without electricity for a few days

same happened to me when the brand new laid 11KV got a tractor wheel over the verge that punched a stone through the insulation . we had a genny for a few days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry! I meant to type GPO, not BT. Fingers faster than brain :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Planning permission for a site for the Emergency services included mention of an on-site generator. Some people thought it would be running 24/7!

Reply to
charles

36 hours you are blessed there;)...
Reply to
tony sayer

In article snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> scribeth thus

In that area it should be UK power networks who are usually quite good:)

Reply to
tony sayer

In message <iKWbsKCM$ snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk>, tony sayer snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk> writes

That was my thought, too. We lost power about 4pm Friday, and most shops were at least partially illuminated during the evening, presumably from backup batteries. Saturday morning onwards was very strange, with not a light anywhere other than a few passing cars, and no mobile signal either.

I think the absolute darkness at night was one of the strangest parts of the outage. Most houses had a dim glow behind tightly drawn curtains but other than that, not a light to be seen anywhere.

Reply to
Graeme

It may be that at least some of the network cells were still on power - ones on top of the hills have considerable range. OTOH powercuts are common here so maybe they have better than average battery backup.

We lost power about 3am Saturday morning. My emergency lights were long dead before we woke up. Neighbouring parishes were back on power relatively quickly but we had two hard faults and so needed repairs. They didn't do a good job of finding them :(

Confused the engineers that several local businesses and farms have their own generators because supply was inadequate or too unreliable. This led them to believe the parish was all OK and they went away again. Then they started logging fault calls as individual properties off grid.

The dark skies resulting from the powercut and no streetlamps at all for some distance made the sky very impressive. Despite thin cloud I could still see the milky way and Andromeda galaxy naked eye without any difficulty. Ordinarily that would require a very clear night.

It was too cold to observe for any length of time though.

Reply to
Martin Brown