Thoughts on living without electricity for a few days

Another example of the North-South divide then. I can assure you that Northern Powergrid *engineers* tried their very best on the ground but the back office systems supposed to support them were feeding them incorrect information and so wasting their time (at least for my area).

To be fair I think in the face of a widespread power outage you would have similar problems getting through to a human but I would hope that the automatic status messages would be a lot less incompetent than ours were. I got a text message telling me to make alternative arrangements for Saturday night at 0800 on Sunday morning for instance (fat use that is).

Quite a few of the poles round here are visibly bent, rock slightly in the breeze and are marked do not climb. The BT guy who came to do my fibre install wasn't at all impressed to need a cherry picker. All wired services come into the village on the same poles.

I would hazard a guess that one reason why getting some places back on is so slow has been a shortage of cherry pickers that can go on all terrain. The other seems to be one pole snapping and taking its neighbours with it. This can only happen because they were all pretty much rotted through and waiting to snap in the next powerful storm. They should not all fall down like dominoes but in some places that *is* exactly what happened. Wind was from an unusual direction didn't help.

I reckon a bean counter inspired de facto replace only on failure policy (ie. no or minimal preventative maintenance). The inquiry into this will be interesting and in all probability glacially slow and ineffective.

The field engineers here do, but the main organisation doesn't even bother to answer the phone. Their Dalek does it all - unless you are incredibly lucky. I certainly never got through once to a human.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The integrated USB sockets in my wife's Honda are a real pain in the arse. They interact with the software on the car's entertainment system and something on my phone, blanking the phone's screen and displaying a brief message (I forget what it says now). It's probably trying to cast the phone screen onto the car's satnav/entertainment screen. I've never managed to find a way of disabling it, despite trying various supposed remedies on Android and Honda forums. I suppose I ought to buy a charging-only cable which has no data lines connected - that will spoil its little game ;-)

Reply to
NY

Where we live (in Northern Powergrid territory) we went through a phase each autumn of having a rash of brief power cuts - maybe only lasting a second or so, but happening several times a day. A second is plenty long enough to make all electronic equipment reboot.

It was due to tree branches growing and touching the HV lines (11 or 33 kV on wooden poles, not 132 or 400 kV on metal pylons) that fed the village. Preventive maintenance did not seem to be happening and they waiting until the problem was reported before they investigated.

The first year we lived in this house, the electricity was on and off all the time and we all bombarded Northern Powergrid with phone calls every time it happened to let them know the scale of the problem. Last year, we were notified that the power would be off for a planned power cut while branches were cut back; ironically it was only after this that the power started tripping again :-( After that, they sent a senior faulty-finding engineer who actually listened to my description of the fault and fairly quickly traced where it was happening. It was fixed without the power even needing to be turned off again.

.
Reply to
NY

It would slowly charge on the car USB socket when it still had its own battery power and whilst running as a GPS. It was only when it was dead in the water that we found it wouldn't charge at all.

Dashcam is plugged into the cigar lighter socket. I do have a USB charger for that so I will give it a try (didn't think of it TBH).

I don't like them for similar reasons and base load management. I'm up to the eyeballs in mains adaptors to USB of just about every flavour. (unfortunately they *do* all require mains power!)

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's 105 here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A small UPS solves that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And does anyone know what battery capacity is at their Local mobile base station?..

When power distribution companies talk about a 15 kW capacity mains power connections needed?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed. If it happened a lot, I'd invest in a couple: one for the router, mesh network primary node and a couple of Raspberry Pis, and one for my main PC which unfortunately is in a different room. (*)

And I'd *test* it as soon as I bought it and keep it normally connected to mains. My wife bought a new PC about 15 years ago and bought a 700 VA UPS with it. We didn't get round to testing the UPS for a while (beyond the warranty period) and when I did test it, it couldn't even power a 60 W tungsten light bulb for more than a couple of seconds without mains input. I imagine that the battery hadn't liked being stored in an uncharged state and had lost its ability to hold any charge.

Do consumer-grade UPSs (I think ours was made by APC) generally manage a seamless changeover from mains to battery? Do they have a relay that switches over between mains and battery-generated "sine wave", or do they

*permanently* generate a pseudo-sine wave from a battery which is kept trickle-charged from the mains, with no electrical connection between input and output, avoiding any switching transient?

I contemplated using a USB-powered battery pack as a makeshift UPS for the RasPis, since it has USB input (on micro-USB from a mains-to-5V PSU) and USB output (on USB sockets). But the buggers had designed it so as soon as 5V is supplied on input, the output cuts out :-( It's related to the presence of the input voltage rather than the insertion of the input cable.

(*) We'd probably need a lot more than just two. The biggest problem with mains glitches is the various Linksys Velop mesh network nodes around the house: if those are switched on or rebooted simultaneously when the power comes back, some of them fail to reconnect and have to be turned off and then manually back on one at a time (start a second when the first has connected properly, rinse and repeat).

Reply to
NY

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com writes

<grin> We got all sorts across the counter. One old girl came storming in to complain her land line phone wasn't working. Took a while to explain that PO had not been involved in such things since BT was broken up more than 40 years earlier.

We regularly had knocks on the door Christmas day for electricity tokens, and phone calls from people miles away, asking about the weather because they fancied a drive out somewhere.

Reply to
Graeme

In message <soj1uo$fob$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Thanks. I think part of the reason we were OK is because I'm one of nature's hoarders. The sleeping bag I used was the same one I took camping with the scouts c1965. Still got the remains of a large box of candles bought during the miners strike in the 70s.

<grin>
Reply to
Graeme

Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It is the main PC you want to protect. Your router and internet connection are likely to be useless on an FTTC service. Their local cabinets must have power or they don't work. POTS remains usable for some time since there are serious batteries at the exchange.

FTTP might possibly work depending on how far away the master node is.

My brother-in-law is cruel to his UPS batteries.

I have had to scrap some of his spare batteries that had never been used. They die horribly if left flat. One which I found would accept charge had swelled to the point where it had fractured the case.

Leave them in too long and getting them out is almost impossible.

Various levels of protection and finesse depending on how much you pay for them. Some will also switch off peripherals when the PC is off. Some of the things they do are more sales features than user benefits.

The capacitor in a switched mode PSU can hold it up for long enough for a reliable transition within a few tens of milliseconds. The difficult times are when the mains drops and crashes on and off a few times in quick succession as the circuit breaker resets and fails again after a few seconds.

Short term that might work. Most powercuts are under 6 hours. (which is way longer than any affordable UPS can accommodate)

What you can hope for is to keep working for an hour or two and then shut things down cleanly (depends a lot how much load you have).

That is an intrinsically bad design. Any decent electronic kit should be able to recover gracefully from a powercut and return to operating mode.

Unless of course is it an electric intercity train!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ours is the predecessor model to this:

We've had ours for a number of years and it switches over with no issue. We have many small outages, and if there is an outage, we've got 10-20 mins or so to save and power things down.

I've replaced the battery once. Can't help with your other implementation-related Qs, sorry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ours must have such power, then. Everything here (internet included) stays on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, I thought all FTTC cabinets had a UPS to keep them going over short power breaks - the sort that will still force the device to reboot, maybe even before the equipment has finished rebooted from the previous break, if they are every few seconds as was the case with our tree-branch-on-HV-line ones.

Anything longer than an hour is a different matter, but in my experience, those power cuts are a lot rarer.

Reply to
NY

I still have the AM only one I bought as a kit when I started work in

1962. 7x4 35 ohm speaker and 750 mW amp. Originally use a PP9, but converted to a battery pack using AA cells. The PP9 used to last the best part of a year, with pretty heavy use.

Wonder if they still keep the LW R4 transmitter going above all else?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I can only think of a single power cut that was not momentary in the last 30+ years here in Sussex. That lasted for about 35 mins.

There are two overhead 11Kv lines supplying each half of the village.

Reply to
Andrew

Cough

The *GPO* was split into PO and BT ~40 years ago

Reply to
Andrew

Short power breaks up to a couple of hours I expect but after that all bets are off. I was surprised how well the mobile networks held up - I hadn't expected them to stay up for as long as they did without mains.

Weren't you down for an extended period when they had the lightning strike that knackered the electric trains on the E&W mainlines?

I cannot think of a year where we didn't have at least one power cut of a duration of 4+ hours. Some years we have had half a day and once a day without power but we have never before had one stretching into a third day! It wasn't like it was a very damaging storm by comparison with say Xmas 1998 when it totalled all the local polytunnels and my greenhouse.

We have just traced our HT supply back to a spur from the N-S mainline. Already found one pole ready to fail in a very quick local survey. The beast in the field like to rub on them and a nominal 10" pole is tapered to about 4" diameter remaining at a cows shoulder height.

Same field as the actual failure occurred in - suspicious or what? Local knowledge says these poles were put in just post WWII. (before my time)

Reply to
Martin Brown

We had a power failure lasting a few days. A builder , 2 doors down the road, decided to remove a tree but it had the local feeder cable tangled in its roots. 5 houses lost their supply about lunchtime. We had a generator - just for us - coupled in at about 1am Friday. Generator removed on Tuesday morning.

Reply to
charles