Thought for the day.

Is the creation and maintenance of a post modern technical society simply too complex to be entrusted to politicians?

Are there any alternatives?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes and No?

Reply to
newshound

The depressing thought is that this may indeed be the correct answer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Elysium

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

An army of unelected technocrats, with "competencies" to handle it :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I fear that it is. Hillary Clinton probably lost the election by saying that half of Trumps supporters were deplorables. Which, by any rational assessment, they are. But I don't see us going back to the times when only landowners (almost by definition the only people with a formal education at the time) have the vote. So we are probably stuck with populist politicians, leaving us with technocrat civil servants to try to steer some sort sensible policy courses. It's a declining proportion of academics and journalists that don't follow the path of least resistance.

Reply to
newshound

There is a huge supply of highly educated and competent technical people and builders from Eastern Europe and India.

The Brits can do what they are good at, playing poker with house prices, whinging and banging out excessively large families on the benefit system (and then moaning that they have to use food banks).

Reply to
Andrew

Wow, that would be a real trough to get yer snout into!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nope.

Nope.

Reply to
Jock

Sounds like yet another cryptocurrency ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bur not as deplorable as those that support the democrats,

But I don't see us going back to the times when

Education is no guarantee of quality either. It is a guarantee of a Marxist candidate though. No pone except a Marxist goes into politics if they have a qualification outside of politics and philsophy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't recall ever seeing Democrats invading the Capitol to try to reverse an election result

Back in the days before universal suffrage you could certainly count on landowners to vote for their best interests. But personally, I'd argue that this was broadly in the national interest as well. It kick-started the industrial revolution.

Education gave us Adam Smith a century before Karl Marx.

Boris read Classics.

Reply to
newshound

Palpable nonsense.

Custos Custodum

I doubt he actually read anything. He's too lazy.

How did he get his degree? I leave you to judge.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bet you can't manage anything like this.

Jock

---------- Just because you're good at getting elected doesn't mean you're good at solving problems! You have to be honest to solve problems; you don't have to be honest to get elected!

--------

------------- Job requirement for politicians: attend regular meetings of a spiritual recovery program, to learn a new way of life! If it works for alcoholics and addicts (and it does!), then it'll work for *anyone*!

Reply to
David P

Sortition ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No, they simply tried to impeach the president via a load of fake stories using the courts

Agreed.

Not sure that was any thing to boast about.

I don't regard that as a qualification for anything

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Anthony Leggett (Nobel prize winner for physics) said that his Oxford classics ('Greats') degree qualified him to know the different Greek letters

Reply to
Robin

Pretty easy to buy one, and/or get someone else to do the work.

Reply to
whisky-dave