Thorn M54 boiler - any good?

This boiler is an antiquated, expensive to run, crock. It should replaced with a modern real boiler.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

YES!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bollox!! Modern quality boilers will go and go.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which is tripe when buying a quality model. Look at an ATAG or ATmos.

Total bollox!

Total bollox!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It isn't it is bollox.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My God!!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I see Dribble is still clueless about figures and, it seems, the meaning of common words such as 'almost'.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

How does ASHP compare with GSHP? (Which I presume would be a much harder DIY install).

Reply to
Roger Chapman

The OP is on about 5 to 10 years life. An ATAG or Atmos will last 25 years if serviced properly with a clean system.

I know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This f***ing idiot again.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

GSHPs are far cheaper to run. The best ASHP around is the new Sanyo, which now outperforms oil in running costs.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We got rid of ours just before we would have been forced to install a condensing type. It's main failing was having to renew the rubber seals between the access panel to the heat exchanger. If the rear one had gone, it became a major job to stop it leaking. The front one drips onto the pilot light and puts it out. The timer was a problem as well, I wired ours up for a Set5 digital timer made by Danfoss Randall. I also ended up changing the gas control valve, thanks to some friendly plumbers at the merchants telling what to ask for.

As you don't have the cash for a new one, I would keep an eye on it and start saving for a replacement. I was glad to see the back of ours. It was installed about 1977 or 1978 and like you say the spares are becoming a bit scarce.

Moving the M54 might/will give you problems with the flue.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

This f***ing idiot again.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Reply to
geoff

Life expectancy of a current boiler is quoted at being between 5 and 7 years

Wise words grasshopper

Reply to
geoff

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

NURSE

He's been hiding his medication under his tongue again

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

He just likes the taste of used suppositories.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Maxie, was that you who wrote that? You have never come across Atmos or ATAG I see. tsk, tsk.

How is the Paddy band going? Have you had your donkey jacket cleaned yet>?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie! It is bollox indeed. Now keep away from the Guinness.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How do yours taste?

Reply to