Thorium Mantles?

Anybody know if it's still possible to get thorium mantles of the sort fitted to tilley lamps from any place there days?

It's actually for testing an old Geiger counter that was a Maplin kit.

I'd have guessed that the thorium has been replaced by some other material these days, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
John Nickum

Don't know, but do you have an old luminous watch or, best of all, the standard War Dept prismatic compass? Mine gives about 500 counts per second. The natural K40 in high potash fertiliser will give you about double the natural background.

Reply to
Newshound

Try a smoke alarm. The disc is Americium (alpha source)

Reply to
Jim Scott

Would tritium dials from Trimphones be an acceptable alternative source of radioactivity?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Jim Scott contains these words:

Just remember to crimp it back again afterwards!

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked on ebay, and WWII luminous watches are about £20-£30, which is a bit expensive. I didn't know about the potash fertiliser.

Reply to
John Nickum

Thanks. I've just tried monitoring a smoke alarm, but of course, alpha particles can't go through its plastic case. At least smoke alarms are cheap, so I'll try breaking one open tomorrow.

Reply to
John Nickum

"John Nickum" wrote

Careful now, you will have the anti-terrorist squad kicking your door in (and maybe shooting you) for trying to build an improvised dirty nuclear device :-)

HLAH

Most valves (out of a nold Telly etc) have thoriated tungsten cathodes in 'em, which might be enough of a source? I'd guess that the electron gun in a tube might be a source, too. IIRC, camping gas lamp mantles are thoriated, TAAW.

I used to work in a big transmitter cabin which had fibre-optics for the control gear, and wondered why we had to replace them every few years, only to be told "Oh, the radiation from the TWT [1] makes them go cloudy..." :o0

Dave H. (The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

[1] Travelling Wave Tube, a big (ie several KW) broadband microwave transmitting amplifier. With a 5KV, 5A power supply. Dangerous. VERY Dangerous.
Reply to
Dave H.

Don't let Big Clive anywhere near such a thing.

Hmm.. . who says microwaves can't cook crispy food.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

John Rumm

|Anybody know if it's still possible to get thorium mantles of the sort |fitted to tilley lamps from any place there days? | |It's actually for testing an old Geiger counter that was a Maplin kit. | |I'd have guessed that the thorium has been replaced by some other |material these days, but I could be wrong.

If you live in a granite area, Cornwall, Scotland etc, the rock is mildly radioactive. Are you traveling to a granite area sometime soon?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes. The cheap Chinese mantles contain thorium, expect 500-600 Becquerel.

Anchor and Egret are mantle brands that are radioactive, Luxor and Petromax aren't.

Just take you Geiger counter into the shop!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

According to the article referenced by John Ruum, the tritium would be mixed into a waxy substance - and presumably sealed in glass which would prevent escape of the alpha particles.

Breaking it open could be messy, so I think I'll pass on that one. :-)

Reply to
John Nickum

"Dave H." I used to work in a big transmitter cabin which had fibre-optics for the

Reply to
John Nickum

astonishing and quite frightening.

Reply to
John Nickum

I'm in the Midlands, so it's a long way to travel either way.

Reply to
John Nickum

Thanks for the info. But using the Geiger counter to select a mantle might not be too clever. ;-)

Reply to
John Nickum

Getting tritium to emit alpha particles would be a really neat trick, and worthy of a Nobel Prize :-)

Steve S

Reply to
Steve S

Aaagh! ;-)

Anyway, I've broken open the smoke detector and found that it's more than enough to prove that the Geiger counter is working.

Job done.

If I hold the Geiger counter just 1cm from the source, it really does thunder, and I have to switch it to its uppermost range, but if I hold it 5cm away, then it's back to background levels. So it seems that the smoke detector emits low-energy alpha particles that have low penetration even through the air, so it's a nice safe test.

Reply to
John Nickum