Coal effect gas fires and prefabricated flues

I am doing a series of renovations in the living room so now seems a good time to ditch the 1970's gas fire and put in a coal effect gas fire. The brick flue was demolished from this 1930's house 20 odd years ago and an aluminium twin skinned flue put in and a brickfire place built. I gather that coal affect fires will fit to this type of flue but I can't find anything that describes how the fitting kits work. I wont fit the fire myself but I need to know if I need to modify anything on the flue while I am bashing things about. Surely the distance of the centre line of the flue to the front on the fireplace and the the height of the bottom of the flue and the bottom of the fire place must be critical. I assume that their is something on top of the fire that fits into the flue. Has anybody fitted one of these that can point me to some suitable data. I need to know now so that if I need to modify the flue I can rebuild the false chimney breast before I get the plasterer in.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

You're not fitting the fire yourself; so get the fitter round to look at your flue and get him to tell you what is required to make everything right. He's the one who will need to be satisfied everything is tickety-boo, as he'll need to sign off on it. You might find info advice from elsewhere which for one reason or another might not be what the fitter wants/expects.

Alternatively/ in additin: bit naughty, but you could even get a quote from one of these all-in fireplace showroom places to do the whole job, and pump them for information as to what exactly they'd need to do.

David

Reply to
Lobster