Prefabricated Flues and Coal Effect Gas Fires

I have asked about these a few times but haven't got any response so I just trying again to see if anybody out there has fitted on or you are an installer. All the maunfactures catalogues say is that a particular type will fit a prefabricated flue but there are no details of how. I visited a wholesale flue company today to buy a new 135 degree elbow to replace a damaged on on the existing 4 inch flue system so I was asking how these fires are fitted. It seems that they will only fit 5 inch flues so I am pretty pissed to have found out by accident what the actual requirements for fitting are. The flue system has been in the house over 20 years so I don't really want to rip it out and put a 5 inch system in unless I really have to so does anybody know if you can convert 5 inch to 4 inch. The gas collection box that the fire sits it has a 5 inch outlet at the top. Upstairs the flue is all boxed in and will be an absolute pain to replace. I will be getting an installer to fit the fire but I don't see how I can have confidence in buying a fire in the first place unless the suppliers are a little bit more forthcoming requirements for fitting.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

You want an increasing adaptor for the liner.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thanks for that. I have since spoken to an installer and apparantly there is a limited range available for fitting to a 4 inch pipe so I will follow that up. My only concern is that knowing how funny gas regs are would an installer fit a fire designed for a 5 inch flue to a 4 inch flue. Although it is only 1 inch on diameter that is 36% reduction in surface area. I assume that these things are that way for a reason. My symplistic mind would assume that the gas velocity in a larger diameter flue would just be less than the smaller diameter flue. The old gas fire worked perfectly ok.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

For a gas fire this would be ok,however a stove would require a wider flue liner 5" to 6".

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby