Things not to do #41.

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Sadly you can't get YOPS trainees any more, so it'll have to be a tripwire.

Reply to
Guy King

Ho-fficially the max length for USB cable is 5m. Given luck and a following wind (and the fact that a webcam is fairly undemanding) you can probably use an extension cable or two, which have a little electronic "repeater" gizmo (powered by the voltage on the USB wires).

Maplin.co.uk (they have a shop at Regent St LS2) item UY13P £14.99

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Even if you could, it would still be easier to train the hen.

det cord?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Right, thanks. I'll think about it.

I know - we use it quite a lot. Just down the road from us.

In fact they send me their e-newsletter at boringly frequent intervals. It's always full of bargains ... if only I wanted the things they're offering. Still, you never know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, YOPS, I was thinking about that the other day and wondering what had happened to it. Another scheme no doubt.

I'm wondering about radio control.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Call Bill Oddie - he'll probably get a TV series out of it.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Active cables are actually single-port hubs, so it's within spec to=20 daisy-chain 4 of them together (with a passive 5m cable at the end=20 giving a total length of 25m).

?ViewItem&item=3D9711220844

Rob Morley

Active cables are actually single-port hubs, so it's within spec to daisy-chain 4 of them together (with a passive 5m cable at the end giving a total length of 25m).

I wish I knew what you were talking about :-(

But thanks for trying, and it might have been useful to someone else.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

By the time tv got round to it it would all be over and done with. The chicks will be out in less than a fortnight!

If there are any, with the daily (or nightly) interruptions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The wires with the lumpy bit on the end will plug together to make a=20 longer wire with lumpy bits in the middle as long as you don't do it=20 lots.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The wires with the lumpy bit on the end will plug together to make a longer wire with lumpy bits in the middle as long as you don't do it lots.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That makes much more sense :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher" saying something like:

I got one of these...

)

Great little camera, and you don't even need the video capture card [1] to use it - all you need for a single camera is an old TV card and use the composite input with a trial copy of Active WebCam or similar.

[1] The capture card was actually ok, but the supplied software was a total pain in the arse.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

LOL!

?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Guy King contains these words:

I now have some of the proper filter material - so it's time to nobble an old webcam, I think.

Reply to
Guy King

You've got a broody too?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Explosive detonating cord.

Reply to
Guy King

It's detonating fuse. A well-known brand is "Cordtex".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Oh.

But since you've snipped it's out of context and my short term memory isn't what it was - if I remember corectly.

It will come to you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Nah, just two kids to entertain.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah! So YOU'RE the broody :-)

I'm happy to have all that behind me. It was good at the time - most of the time - but you can have too much of a good thing or, as someone else said, moderation in all things.

The trouble with kids is that it gets worse before it gets better :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher