Thin aluminium foil

Does anyone know if it is still possible to purchase the thin foil strip that was used for alarming windows in the old days. I have tried google but no luck.

Reply to
ss

Ebay Search for 'alarm foil'

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m

Excellent! Thank you

Reply to
ss

Don't use it on anything that might contaminate it. It corrodes and goes open circuit.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

We didn't use aluminium at Chubb, it was soft lead. You fitted it by masking a strip with tape, painting it with varnish, sticking the tape on and then varnishing it again.

Reply to
dennis

I always thought it aluminium in days gone by, but then I just assumed. Anyhow another question. Are the connectors attached to the glass or the frame?

Reply to
ss

It was over 30 years ago when I worked at Chubb, things probably changed.

The chubb ones were on the glass and were connected to a junction box on the frame with fine wire that would break if the glass were removed from the frame.

Reply to
dennis

how were the corners done, where the lead changes direction on the glass? I suppose it could be folded over, but I always saw square corners.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You fold it up which gives a 45 degree angle and then you fold it down which gives a 90 degree angle that covers the 45 degree angle.

Not that I ever did any like that.

Reply to
dennis

thanks, now I know. I wonder how foil oxidation was prevented in storage, the stuff was always bright finished.

NT

Reply to
meow2222