Thick walled steel pipe

Does anyone recommend a supplier of about 2 metres of approx 60mm od steel pipe with a wall thickness of at least 5mm? It is a repair project on an old tractor winch. The pipe that fits the bill appears to be 2" schedule 80 but schedule 160 may be better.

I am hoping to get spend below £100 and most of the metal supermarket type outlets are a bit expensive.

Reply to
AJH

AJH explained :

Maybe steel gas or heating pipe - BES?

A scrap metal yard?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Not far off scaffold pole.

Reply to
newshound

Not far off a truck propshaft. I would definitely start crawling under vans and trucks in a scrappy. Or look online for a tractor spare or something

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Acrow props are 60mm OD, at least, mine are. The longer ones should have 2m of straight pipe.

Don't take one that's in use though.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Small hydraulic cylinder?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks for that i will check the wall thickness and look for a damaged one, propshafts and scaffold pipe not thick enough walls. I need to machine and fit bearings

Reply to
AJH

Good call Tim, probably too high a quality for the needs of a fairlead roller but I'll enquire at Hydraulic Supplies

Reply to
AJH

I guess you don't need to fit bearings into a 2 metre length? That would require a fairly big lathe. Another option might be to machine bearing carriers with a suitable spigot from solid, and simply weld them to scaffold / acrow tube.

Reply to
newshound

I need 8 rollers, 2 vertical and two horizontal and two winch drums. The wire rope feeds onto the drum through the fairlead.

Reply to
AJH

Water pipe? Two inch bore is about 60mm OD.

Reply to
nightjar

Yup nominal 2" bore is about 60.3mm OD. Although that is only about

4.5mm wall thickness - so not sure if that is good enough for the OP.

On the bright side, it is cheap:

about £30 for 2m

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all

Yes that water pipe would do at a squeeze but probably wouldn't stand the abuse, I'd put a picture up of a failed one but not sure what free picture hosting exists anymore.

Tim's idea worked, it will be slightly over budget with VAT and 10quid carriage but a smooth bore pipe from hydraulic services 60mmOD 45mmID cut into two pieces for posting is £45. I just have to work out the best place to cut now.

Reply to
AJH

Ah, OK you want something really substantial then

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 21/09/2021 17:24, AJH wrote:> I'd put a picture up of a failed one but not sure what free > picture hosting exists anymore. I tend to use

Chris Bacon

I have just found some old 2" water barrel 60 o/d. Thickness looks more than 5mm on a tape but it is seam welded and you still have to fetch:-)

Back in the mists of time, SKF were involved in supplying suitable bearings for conveyor rollers. Ideal for your job. No mines down South?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Eight of them are going to blow the budget. I did wonder about just using solid bar with flanged bearings or plummer blocks / pillow blocks but same point applies.

Although Alibaba seems to offer flanged bearings with 30mm bore for under $5.

Reply to
newshound

It might well be. The standard wall is notionally 3/16" thick, but there are thick and extra thick wall versions, to take higher pressures. The OD stays at 2 3/8", so they can all use the same fittings, but the bore reduces to suit.

Reply to
nightjar

Tempting to try but traveling would make a dent in the saving. There can be up to 4 tonnes loading on these rollers and if they jam the wire rope cuts into them swiftly.

The rollers are different lengths with the vertical ones at about 200mm and the horizontal about 150mm so the actual length required is

4*150+4*200=1400mm so 2m gives a bit to play with or I can just order 1.5m

The bearing at each end is a rubber shielded greased for life SKF 6205 and they last used to last about 5 years when we used the machine regularly but it has lain idle and they have all rusted up. Cheap ones cost about £3.50 each so if I replace them all that adds £28. Then I just need to have 0.2mm turned off the inner face of each roller to take the 15mm width of bearing.

I was tempted to drill a grease hole and nipple in the axle shaft and pack the space between axle and roller with grease

Reply to
AJH

Drillpipe? But you'd probably get funny looks asking for only 2m

Reply to
Andy Burns