Thermostat wire

I want to move my room thermostat from the bedroom to the hall. What kind of wire do I need to buy? What is the thickness?

Reply to
Golan

Correct stuff for a thermostat is 1mm triple and earth. Here's a pic:-

sheds will also sell it by the metre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or consider getting a cordless - RF Thermostat and avoid doing any wiring.

Reply to
John

It depends on what it's switching!

If it is a conventional gas or oil fired CH system, it will only take about

3 amps total for boiler control, pump and motorised valves - in which case 1 mm^2 cable is more than adequate.

If it's switching electric heating or air conditioning, it's a different story!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I somehow doubt a thermostat for an electric central heating system would switch the power direct? Air con will also have a contractor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or even a contactor

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

3 amps ?!? My honeywell wiring centre came fused for 2 ..
Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

3A is more typical, though.

Christian.