Thermal Insulation Board

I'm insulating an internal wall. The wall is flat. I was going to use no more nails to stick the board to the wall. Will that be sufficient? Or should I erect a timber frame and nail it to that?

By the way, I have had a lot of trouble trying to find insulation board. Could someone recommend a good brand, depth and supplier.

Reply to
Griffo

I'm insulating an internal wall. The wall is flat. I was going to use no more nails to stick the board to the wall. Will that be sufficient? Or should I erect a timber frame and nail it to that?

By the way, I have had a lot of trouble trying to find insulation board. Could someone recommend a good brand, depth and supplier.

Reply to
Griffo

Why?!

Kingspan, Celotex for a start.

Depth depends entirely on how much insulation you need, ie what you're trying to achieve.

A good supplier is:

- they sell literally 'seconds' quality insulation a lot cheaper than you're likely to get it from a builder's merchant.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Ah - sorry, just spotted your other post - it's the inside of an external wall...

Reply to
Lobster

Depends on the thickness you want, and how you plan to cover the insulation after.

For upto 30mm youy can stick it on, and then screw plasterboard to it right through the insulation and into the wall below, although even then some thin battens would give you something to screw into (easier than plaster anyway). Alternatively you can get PIR foam boards already bonded to sheets of plasterboard. These would probably be quickest and simplest and let you use thicker insulation layers simply.

If you want lots of insulation then you could erect a 4x2" framework first, stick 100mm sheets (or two layers of 50) between the studs, and then either plasterboard over, or even add another layer of insulation over first the PB and skim.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John. What does PIR stand for? Also would you always recommend screwing into the wall rather than using an adhesive?

Reply to
Griffo

Thanks John. What does PIR stand for? Also would you always recommend screwing into the wall rather than using an adhesive?

Reply to
Griffo

PIR is a shorthand for Polyisocyanurate foam - the foil covered type of rigid urethane foam that gets sold under brand names like Kingspan or Celotex... there are quite a few makers of the stuff - many less well known but much cheaper than the aforementioned two.

Screwing - its an easy way to fix the plasterboard, but you may be able to bond that to the foam instead if you prefer. (no point is screwing just the foam - the screws will pull through it too easily if not backed up with something more solid over it).

Reply to
John Rumm

Quote from John Rumm " there are quite a few makers of the stuff - many less well known but much cheaper than the aforementioned two. "

John could you name some of the cheaper brands.

Thanks

Darren

Reply to
darren_forward

I used ECOTHERM on my build, cheaper than the big brand names but just as good.

Chris

Reply to
Chris & Patsy

Yup, twas what I was about to say - used that myself. (Paid £14/

8'x4'x2" sheet when Jewson were quoting over £30!)

Ruberoid is another one.

Check with one of the suppliers of "seconds" like

John Rumm