Cold Loft Room

We have a loft extension that was built before we bought the place. It is freezing. There is no insulation on the interior of the external walls (just plaster on brick). The loft has standard loft insulation - the stuff you can buy in a roll - to a depth of approx 6 inches. We need to add extra insulation and were planning to put thermal insulation boards up on the walls. Is it worth adding extra insulation to the roof space?

Reply to
Griffo

always is yes maybe worth relining the room too with extra insualtion

Reply to
Mindwipe

Thanks - I thought that might be the case but had heard that uninsulated walls would cause greater heat loss than a partially insulated roof.

Reply to
Griffo

On 28 Feb 2006 14:46:10 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "Griffo" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

But the financial return on the roof insulation is better than for walls.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

|We have a loft extension that was built before we bought the place. It |is freezing. There is no insulation on the interior of the external |walls (just plaster on brick). The loft has standard loft insulation - |the stuff you can buy in a roll - to a depth of approx 6 inches. We |need to add extra insulation and were planning to put thermal |insulation boards up on the walls. Is it worth adding extra insulation |to the roof space?

Is it draught proof? As always do draught proofing before insulation, before double glazing.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yep. Draft-proofing is ok.

Reply to
Griffo

Good, I hate it when squads of soldiers suddenly come through the doors and windows and get their muddy boots all over the Wilton, don't you?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Perhaps you should stop inviting your pal Osama round for afternoon tea ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain