Cold Loft Room

We have a loft extension that was built before we bought the place. It is freezing. There is no insulation on the interior of the external walls (just plaster on brick). The loft has standard loft insulation - the stuff you can buy in a roll - to a depth of approx 6 inches. We need to add extra insulation and were planning to put thermal insulation boards up on the walls. Is it worth adding extra insulation to the roof space?

Reply to
Griffo

Probably; guessing 6" comes to R21 or so, if you live in a real cold area, more will help. If you're in southern CA, don't bother.

Adding 2x4 studs to the surface of the wall and insulating using typical fiberglass might be less than some kind of engineered insulating board (for equivelent R rating). You need to run the numbers yourself.

Reply to
PipeDown