The Wiki

(1) In Unvented DHW, I changed Megaflow to MegaFlo.

(2) At one stage of editing that, a dialogue containing "autoconfirmed" appeared; it would be well IMHO if that word were clickable, to get an explanation!

(3) The contents list begins with 17th Edition Consumer Units - ISTM that it would be better to start it with 18th Edition Consumer Units

(4) I think it would be well to keep that earlier edition somewhere; DIY installers should follow the latest edition, but users might like to see the edition that applies to the units that they have (mine were installed in 1981 or earlier).

(5) Might it be appropriate to have a page on Inspection Requirements? I see it as being divided into sections for Electricity, Gas, Tools?, Water, etc., with subsections etc. as needed, and each lowest-level section containing (a) what is required to be inspected and who by, with a link to the relevant regulations (b) what does not need formal inspection but Ought To Be Looked At at suitable intervals.

The chief idea is that someone could read it to discover what he/she has never thought might need to be done.

I had no thoughts on examining my Consumer Units and their contents until I came across "Understanding your Consumer Unit (Fuse Board) Overcurrent & RCD Protection plus Isolation Features" by GSH Electrical at

- I suppose it to be basically correct.

Reply to
dr.j.r.stockton

Yup, saw that, thanks.

FWIW:

Add a new article on 18th edition ones... and then it will come second.

(not sure that reordering the alphabet at this stage would find wide acceptance :-)

Media wiki automatically keeps all the previous edits of a page. For example see:

One could - not sure if it wants to be a separate page, or added to each relevant pages. The emphasis probably being on how to DIY inspections.

Generally its ok... Watching it now, a couple of things to note:

1:07, There is no legal requirement for inspection every 10 years. 3:52, Disconnect time limit varies with earthing system in use. 12.35, EQ bonding conductors should also be on that.
Reply to
John Rumm

"Current (18th Edition) Consumer Units" "Former (17th Edition and earlier) Consumer Units"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yeah, that ought to do it :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Seen, read, understood, but may not be long remembered, alas.

There is one thing which I did not find in the Index; and indeed the Search only found one instance of the word in the FAQ - that is "MediaWiki". The chief purpose of the "MediaWiki" page would be to carry a link to the MediaWiki home page; but there may be a little more worth saying.

Other absences : "DIYfaq", UK !

I want to read one; I could not write one

That's not the same as having access to what we might now write about the old edition : adding instances of links "(changed in the 18th)" would help those who wanted to be told what they should now forget and exactly where to find what they should remember instead.

I think that it needs to be a single page, to be an entry point for answering the question of "What should be tested or inspected, immediately and/or regularly, when a seller, buyer, landlord, estate agent, incomer, ... wants to show due and complete diligence in respect of sale, purchase, or use?". It would provide answers by linking to the relevant Wiki page sections, and otherwise to a page saying "that is a question in need of an answer, please".

In my present top-floor flat, new when I arrived, I found (a) a neutral/earth swap in the hot-water area, (b) a double SPST unit controlling light and fan, which I improved by making it control fan and light in that order, (c) a leaky roof.

The sticker shown at 0:55 seems to me to be a strong enough indication that something needs to be done often enough, even if the Law does not require it.

The test described on the sticker shown at 1:10 is easy but disappointing - I'd prefer one using a mains plug with a resistor of nearly 7200 ohms and an adequate energy rating between live and earth. But I cannot think how the electromagnetics might fail leaving the current still connected ... that leaves ice or treacle or metal dust, etc., around the moving part.

I'm sure you're right; but I'm not yet interested in those.

I think the Darwin Award page might cite

dr.j.r.stockton

Well it only really of passing interest - its the software in use (other wiki systems are available), its also perhaps the best known since its what powers sites like wikipedia.

Look to the left, no not a political instruction, but in the sidebar under "external links" :-)

Well sometimes that's the way it works with wikis! Even if you can't complete the whole article - make a start and additional contributions may follow.

Also that way you can see from the page stats how p

Just because I thought it might have a small but niche interest to a few. Then all of a sudden its had over 3500 views!

Its somewhat related - much depends on how good the comments left on the change record by the modifiers. The software will allow you to retrieve any version from the past, and also compare any version with any other.

There are also a few articles that *do* cover a summary of major changes. e.g:

Remember that a single page can also be a page with links to relevant sections in other articles.

Why not start an article with the skeleton of what you would like? Others may be happy to expand.

FTAOD I was not suggesting test and inspection was not a "good thing" - just that he was stating it in a way that suggested it was mandatory.

A more formal test would of course use either a dedicated RCD tester or more likely the RCD test capability of a multi function machine. That does a series of tests including ramp test.

Or the metal contacts weld together, or the act of breaking the fault current results in a arc inside the MCB that causes damage etc.

A more common failure IME, is an inability to reset a device after it has tripped, or for that matter, just been turned off at the MCB and then would never turn on again electrically again even though it felt fine mechanically.

One might counter that it may be a consequence of avoiding the employment of the artisan, that one becomes wealthy!

Reply to
John Rumm