The van has done it again

Oh dear ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

cool I always thought you should be frugal and run the car until the belt broke.....good for the environment...cuts waste of flinging away perfectly good cam belts....your posts are great Tim .....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

we use tractors in Scotland to go shopping.....

Jim Stewart

but then again Jesse Ray is super cool......

Reply to
Jim Stewart

side valves ? ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

i had a couple of pug 405s...last one was unrepairable so I cut halfway through the cam belt and revved it up just to hear the tinkle of valved hitting pistons...hate pugs....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

mine to but they said you were better with a battery condition meter measuring voltage,,,,

Reply to
Jim Stewart

And a battery a lot closer to the engine :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Don't buy a modern Ford, like a Fiesta or Focus. No tensioner at all. Belts are stretch-fit and need a special tool.

Reply to
Andrew

'Aunty' rover and mk1 landy. Side and Overhead valves.

Reply to
Andrew

JCB fastrak is quite nippy.

Reply to
Andrew

no chance

Reply to
Jim Stewart

sorry mine too...yes battery was in the trunk in the old mini...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Nope. nothing at all. The belt is made to fit with the correct tension from new, as installed on the production line. Saves a few quid per car, which mounts up if you build millions of them world-wide.

Saabs with their version of a GM engine had an enormous serpentine belt driving loads of stuff. That had a spring-loaded jockey wheel but you needed a long bar with a fitting that engaged with the jockey wheel body and two people to get the belt in place over and under all the pulleys while holding the jockey wheel back.

Reply to
Andrew

and it does sit in "full load path".

Reply to
charles

No SLIDE valves. Oh probably should have said 'sleeve' valves.

But side valves work, too....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd forgotten about that type, but yes I do remember those now. Red plastic, with an aluminium insert in one end and that the other end could be pushed over after cutting to length.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

And they have long been like that. I remember that over forty years ago we got stuck in the middle of the Severn Bridge with a blown-out caravan tyre and no spare. We were stuck for ages, as the wind was getting up and they refused to send vans onto the bridge. Eventually they did come in a truck, take the wheel away and return with a new tyre fitted. My father, who'd been a member for 25 years and had never called them out, was fuming at being charged for the call-out - because the cover didn't extend to private land and so toll-bridges weren't covered!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

When my (new) electric fan on my kit-car disintegrated and put a blade through the radiator, the AA guy first towed me off the motorway, then removed the radiator. He disappeared for well over an hour and returned with a new one from thirty-odd miles away. He then fitted and filled it and I was on my way home (Bristol to Manchester) - relying upon movement to give cooling air-flow ... which was not good on a bank holiday weekend with multiple jams.

Mine does, but only because I bought a second-hand carrier and wheel to fit the unoccupied, inverted well.

I did that having suffered a blowout in a hire car in Ireland and finding that not having a spare meant that we were unable to visit the cemetery that evening; had to pay for recovery to a tyre place; had to be dropped at our accommodation in the middle of nowhere, where we were stranded and could not even go out for food. Next morning we struggled to get a taxi to get to the garage; had to pay way over the odds for the tyre, as we'd had no choice where; and only just made it back to the airport in time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Also a problem with cars that have differing front and rear wheel/tyre sizes or are physically too small to carry a spare.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker