The trouble with being DIY Minded

Before my son chose a university we with a group of other prospective student families were being shown round the accommodation block but our guide couldn't unlock a student room door. Another parent had a go and failed. I then used my credit card to bypass the lock and successfully open the door. Later on in the tour another parent spoke to me about the lock incident "I'm a county court judge but really do not want to know how you learned that trick"

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike
[23 lines snipped]

Hopefully he was joking.

Good job you didn't mention this, then;

Huge

Misaligned kitchen doors, yes. I just can't summon up the energy to lie on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and dishw asher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

When LCD displays started to become the norm it was obvious that a lot of p eople just kept their CRT display resolution, so they're running a 1024 x 7

60 display at 800 x 600 or whatever; so I'd show them the improvement when running at the native resolution and bask in the admiration (apart from the miserable buggers who complained that "everything looks smaller...").

On holiday in Italy one year the sunbeds in the apartment complex had face shades held in place by friction in the bolts; needless to say they were al l loose so one chap from the Netherlands was wandering about with an adjust able spanner tightening everything up. "Do you always bring your tools on h oliday?" I joked. "Oh yah, you know what this Italian stuff is like" he ans wered. To be fair, he had driven there so probably had a tool kit with him anyway.

Reply to
Halmyre

Built-in appliances theoretically look better, but washing machine instructions generally tell you to leave the door open so that the drum can dry out.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Write it, we can put it up.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I normally adjust the feet correctly, it's easy enough to do. But I've got one appliance where the foot was found rolling about in another room after it went into place, yet it seems to be fine. Don't know how that works, but I'm not arguing with it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

With my integrated W/D, there's room to leave the appliance door open an inch or so behind the decorative door.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What that DIY DIY faq.... if only you had an excuse, you could avoid writing the list ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

on the floor for half a day attempting to adjust the washing machine and di shwasher in x, y, z, roll, pitch and yaw.

They ARE built in! I hate built-in appliances, extra aggro if, sorry, when they go wrong.

When our dishwasher packed in my wife saw one for £XXX pounds plus ? ?50 installation charge. "I can install that", says I like a fool. "Great ", says my wife, promptly buying the model which costs £XXX+50...

Reply to
Halmyre

Those tins of paint for the front room are from two different batches, I'd better take them back.

Those are Philips screws and I've only got a Pozidrive screwdriver.

Those are Pozidrive screws and I've only got a Philips screwdriver.

It's too cold to paint the shed.

It's too hot to paint the shed.

It's too wet to paint the shed.

I can't paint the shed, it was creosoted previously.

You can't buy creosote any more.

I'll need to research shed paint on the Internet.

Reply to
Halmyre

I generally take my multi tool everywhere (where allowed etc) because you never know when you might need it.

Like, yesterday daughter was changing the spark-plugs on her motorbike and they are down a fairly deep hole. I had just popped out after a shower and only had my joggers on and she asked me for my Leatherman to help 'rescue' a plug. I think everone who knows me always assumes I have it on me (because I generally do) when they *need* to use it. ;-)

So, I'm often 'fixing' all sorts of things as I see them, signs hanging off, trim hanging off plus opening boxes etc etc.

My Leatherman PST II really is now an extension of me and has saved me loads of time when doing d-i-y because it will cover many of the basic tools with no issue.

I helped daughter collect a Welsh Dresser from Gumtree the other day and the top was screwed to the bottom with about 6 Pozidrive screws (the front ones under little covers). I used the fine screwdriver to pick the screw covers out and had undone all the screws before the guy had come back with a screwdriver. ;-)

The Pozi bit on that seems to have a massive range, actually fitting the tinyest of screw that you typically find on laptops and USB enclosures up to screws that look way too big and you think the bit will just float about in (Other makes and tools may exist but I'm not sure any are as light, compact and versatile as the PST II. Shame they stopped making them but did just come up with an anniversary / signed version of the PST for £250!).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You and me, both.

Reply to
Huge

Thats the way it is, but don't you believe it. from a song of course. Actually, I also think that often a person new in an area sees things that everyone else has forgotten to see. Most of what people see is what they expect to see, not what is actually there. Listen to Elton Johns song Grey Seal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Chris J Dixon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Would never have integrated. Limits the choice - makes maintenance difficult. You forget which door it is behind.......

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That was my whole point - you pay extra, have a more limited choice of appliance, have the door alignment hassle you are currently experiencing, only to be told by the instructions to leave the door open anyway.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

At an office I worked in for a short time nearly 20 years ago, the cleaner looked quite shocked when I asked to to wave her feather duster over the extractor in the gents. (Probably she knew that I was only there temporarily.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

That pays my wages :-)

Reply to
TMH

Lamps that need replacing, but you can't get to the spare ones because there's too much DIY-related stuff in the way ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

And what's more, true!

I got an infection in my hand after that op, so they had to do it all again. They sedated me in the ward. Some time later I pressed the call button. "Nurse, there's a pair of pliers balanced on top of that curtain rail over there." "Don't worry Mr Wright, the drugs can have strange effects." Five minutes later I pressed the button again. "Look, there really is a pair of pliers balanced on that rail. They could fall and hurt somebody" They sent for Estates and a man came with some steps, and retrieved the pliers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Reminds me of the time I went into hospital with a nasty infection after a prostate biopsy.

The first night on the actual ward, I was still quite restless and not quite myself. In the middle of the night, I managed to tear out my cannula - blood everywhere. I pressed the call button - there was a whole group of people at the nurses' station, many wearing black trousers and black jackets with mandarin-style collars. One of them - a very efficient guy - came and sorted me out.

Next morning, two nurses changed the bloodstained sheets. They asked what had happened, and I told them about the nice man. One of them looked at me strangely and said "But we don't have any people in black uniforms". I argued for a while, and eventually she must have decided I'd been delirious, because she just suddenly agreed with me and moved on.

She was back a bit later, apologising. Apparently they were the new outfits for student doctors.

Reply to
Bob Eager