The Stand- By demon

I read that one return trip by air to LA produces the same CO2 (per passenger) as the average car does in a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That depends on what you want to do with them. My current car has a 1.8l engine, and is decidely old tech (fuel injection, but none of this fancy air flow metering & lambda sensors etc.). It uses less fuel on a run than my first car did, a 1.3 with just over half as many horsepower and all the modern EFI and a catalytic convertor. And I can overtake things when I want to easily.

Reply to
Doki

by 'talent' you mean warm props ? LOL

Reply to
.

Flourescent light bulbs do make a difference to your electric bill, enough that you make a saving over the life of the bulb. That said, the people who lived in our house before us put them in both bathrooms, which is a bit mental.

Reply to
Doki

Only if it's saving more waste than it consumes - it's not a zero environmental cost getting the insulation to the house, fixing it, maybe disposing of it in n years time, etc.

Reply to
tinnews

Huh? Have you ever investigated the petrol consumption of (for example) an Austin 7 from the 1930s, it's very economical.

Reply to
tinnews

Not only that but the heat your TV produces is heat that your heating doesn't have to.

Reply to
norm

No - but I'll double save by not going to Torremolinos nor having a tv.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite. Ours is a work horse, it needs to carry large, weighty items (not just me before some wag says it) and occasionally tow.

But it's only used when we need those features, most of the time we use the scooter which, I'm told by a grandson, is boring and unstylish.

I'm not suggesting.he has one. He can use buses.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Huh? Have you ever owned or driven an Austin 7 from the 30s? I have. And they're not that economical even considering the pathetic performance. And are positively dangerous on today's roads. A modern small petrol car will beat it hands down for fuel consumption. And have brakes that actually work thrown in as a bonus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's as may be, but since it dismally fails the Conditions and Use Regulations and would be unsaleable in a modern market, completely irrelevant.

Reply to
Huge

I'm trying to reduce both the number of computers and the length of time they are left running in my study.

I think for the first time ever, I'm going to have to have the heating on in here.

It'll be a lot nicer in the summer, though.

Reply to
Huge

Who says that? I 'd say that a poorly insulated hot water tank would waste at least =A3100 per year.

Reply to
Matty F

VMWare and a f*ck off big machine to run the virtual machines? It even supports Windows...

Reply to
Andy Hall

No need - almost all my home stuff is SPARC Solaris machines and Sol10 supports virtualisation out of the box. I decided instead of running a separate file server and firewall, I'd put all the eggs in one (carefully crafted and well backed up) basket. So, I've switched off (or am about to) two machines, containing three CPUs and three disk drives that were running 24/7, and I'm going to switch everything off at nights. Everything's running on my workstation now.

Couldn't care less. My wife's Windows machine always did get switched off when unused and my work laptop only gets switched on when I'm actually using it.

Reply to
Huge

I haven't, but I'll be a fiver that a Citroen AX will beat it.

Go and look up the power outputs of any old car (carburated) and their fuel consumption and compare with any injection car. You'll see that the injected car is doing a lot more with the petrol that's going into the engine. IIRC MGBs have something like an 11 second 0-60 time and manage between 25 and

35mpg. Whereas my car will do 0-60 in 8 or 9 seconds and manage 50mpg if I try.
Reply to
Doki

That's *exactly* what I'm doing, replace two aging machines with a single machine running Linux and vmware to run XP 'inside' the Linux.

Reply to
tinnews

I remember being astonished how economical they were by the standards of other small cars of the 1950s and 1960s. I can't find any figures now though.

I didn't claim they were practical on modern roads.

Reply to
tinnews

Nothing like as good as say a Morris Minor driven at similar speeds.

The cruising speed of an Austin 7 was about 40 mph. Fully laden, there are plenty of main road hills it wouldn't climb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

(that's 'Construction and Use', I think)

The one that frightened me was the A30/A35 (both, I believe). Effectively only ONE braking system, there being common components between the handbrake and footbrake systems. I knew a girl who had one, and she suffered a total brake failure.

Reply to
Bob Eager