The Screwfix effect

There was much angst expressed over delivery problems with many people stating they were going to switch to other suppliers.

I wonder how many actually have switched rather than just going back to SF once the problems were sorted?

Reply to
John Rumm

None really (in most peoples accepted definitions of spam)...

If my memory of the discussions at the time are correct, the problems seemed to be mostly of your creation IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not at all. They spammed me. Then they spammed me again, so I complained. Then they spammed me again, so I wrote to their head office. That's when I was told that they were unrepentant.

Now you might be happy to receive UCE, but I'm not. I have a business to run and don't intend to wade through 100s of junk emails, to find a customer enquiry. My mailbox is private property, it is used by invitation only.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Nope, believe it or not Screwfix do Sunday dispatches and their carriers collect Sunday for "normally next day" delivery. The "normally Monday" is what the system said for the FOC service when I submitted my order on Saturday.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I was after some twin slot shelf brackets and found Wilkos was cheaper than Screwfix!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Correct me if I am wrong, but I got the impression that you ordered a product from screwfix. As a result they added you to their regular email shot. This was something they said would happen in their T&Cs in force at the time. They was a way to turn off these emails by changing a selection in your profile. You however rejected this approach, and wrote a letter asking them to stop. It did not happen fast enough / at all, and you got miffed, told them you were going to charge them for processing their emails etc. The did not explicitly accept this agreement and refused to pay up when you ended up sending them an invoice...

Is that outline about right?

I am not happy to receive UCE, but I don't include email from SF in this category for three reasons:

Firstly we have an existing business relationship,

Secondly they made it clear that they would be sending emails in their T&Cs. I accepted these T&Cs by placing my first order.

Thirdly they have a reliable method to turn off these emails, which I have used. Now the only email I receive from SF is in direct relation to an order or an enquiry I have made.

This (to me) seems fairly acceptable. I would have preferred at the time of making my first order if they had a way of opting out of mailings at that time (without needing to take the extra step of changing settings), although I understand they now do this.

All in all I am quite happy with the approach that SF have taken. That does not mean I wish to receive unsolicited emails for dubious products / web sites / scams etc from traditional spammers.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Yep, which was basically my experience.

Not DIY, but for good customer service I don't think anyone beats Lakeland Limited (Lakeland plastics as was)

Reply to
chris French