Amazon & The Slate Roof Bible

I have had "The Slate Roof Bible" on order from amazon.co.uk in the UK for 12 weeks, its on a 4-6 week delivery, and they just delayed me again.

So I orderd form amazon.com, on a "1-2 day delivery", and they just delayed it.

Does anybody know where I can get this book from, or if there is any other similar books, or even if you have a copy you would kindly sell me.

The rafters are up, the insulation is on, the slates are on the floor, I need to build some more confidence before an allmighty mess arrives ....

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Rick What is it you want to know about roof slating. Keith.

Reply to
keith_765

Often means it's in short supply or out of print. On one memorable occasion they messed me around for months, but had it in stock all the time (in a different binding).

See:

list a lot of new and used copies; mostly USA, but my experience is that you get it within 10 days or so.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are things I know, or have found out There are things I know I don't know - thankfully few and things I don't know I don't know - aka experience

Its the last lot I need to take care of, I normally find a good book a case of wine, and a few nights of noting on the TV deals with it just fine.

Its just the way I am. I worked in a University Resarch dept, we would do anyting that we could get a book for and read to learn how to do it. We alos did stuff there was no books for, but most of the time it was a long job to work out how. I prefer the book method.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

A search on Bookbrain

reveals that The Book Place claims to have it "available for same day despatch". See
(Two other suppliers say awaiting reprint.)

Reply to
Richard J.

Thanks, I orderd it.

I'll keep that link too ......... :-)

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Rob Morley

Simply getting a few gash slates and practicing is probably the best method. A book will probably tell you the right way up for a slate and to knock the nail holes through from the underside, but it won't give you the feel for how to hit the slate when making the holes, or when trimming the slate to size. It probably also won't tell you that you will make the job ten times easier if you only buy best quality Welsh slate.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In article , Rick writes

Ah the "unknown unknowns" to quote Rumsfeldt,

I did mine on a trial and error basis and also there were a lot of slate roofs nearby for me to have a look at if I got stuck, its actually very straightforward once you get into it, its the valleys and hips that are a bit tricky in trying to get the angles right.

Reply to
David

"nightjar .uk.com>"

To add to the above comments. After 50 years in the slating & tiling trade, I haven't seen a book on the subject that describes slating to the full. None of them give any idea of sorting thickness, how the gauge is marked on the slate for holing or which end of the slate, setting the gauge for avoiding short courses, bonding the roof for equal overhang, working around chimneys and valley's and most of all where to lay the slates, How to sort the lath and which way round to fix them. No good putting a whinny edge lath the wrong way round or a thick lath in the middle of a slate roof.

Reply to
keith_765

So write your book then ! Clearly the market needs one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have 10 valleys, 4 ridges & 2 hips :-(

Rick

Reply to
Rick