Patching Wall

Hello all

Right, I have a wall in my ensuite that has had half the plaster ripped off so it's back to brick. The other half of the wall is fine and the plaster is solid. I am undecided the best way to patch this wall, I could:

  1. Plaster patch it up again trying out my new founded plastering skills

or

  1. Stick some plasterboard up with dry lining adhesive and pack out to the correct level

The finish will be tiles and I plan on tanking the walls prior to tiling so dont plan on skimming

Option 2 is looking like the best option seeing as I have a stack load of plasterboard left over from tacking up my ceilings and walls. However if I go for option 2 what should I use to bridge the gap the plaster board will leave as I'm not planning on cutting it to the correct shape!!! Will bonding coat be ok for this, or just one coat plaster?

Comments, suggestions

TIA as usual

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Yes, to version 2 of your plans.

Board finish is the best for plaster-board of course, but all you need is to build out the adhesive holding the board to the brick until you're left with just a thin coating over it to match the rest of the wall. Big blobs of bonding plaster is also a great adhesive for plaster-board to brickwork, and is also cheaper to obtain than pre-mixed adhesive.

Mix the bonding quite thick and apply it to the "cut to size" boards, not on the brick wall. Then offer the board to the brickwork and press hard until you get the shallow depth you need for a skim coating of board finish on the surface. Make the plaster-board sizes easy to handle and you won't have to keep pressing all over the place to keep it all flat and smooth and not bulge. You're going to cover it all over anyways, so little joints aren't going to be seen at all for many years.

Plenty clean water and clean wide paint brush are needed to finish the final surface with your float trowel. Never strike the wall with a dirty float or you'll leave huge scratches all over it. I can shave with the edges of my float trowel after polishing the plaster on all the walls in this here old tenement flat of ours. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Great, Cheers BW

Reply to