The price of metered water!!

I believe that once a company has put a meter in, it can't be taken out (after the cooling off period). I believe businesses can pick their water supplier, there is currently no competition in the domestic market.

My (water+sewage) bill is about £8 per cu meter (on an annual usage of about 25 cu me per year; one person in one house; Yorkshire) (Last time I checked, about 2016, unmetered was £750/yr, and metered is currently about £200/yr; water+sewerage)

Reply to
Allan

One of my offspring lives in the SW, so I pinged them to see what their water bill was, knowing it's somewhat high. Two people working from home...

Water: £3:34 Sewerage: £1:91 Annual fixed charge: £55:15

Six month bill: £400

Reply to
Spike

I do.

I enjoy a bath, and I have it absolutely brim full (blu tack over the overflow) with regular hot top ups. I probably use more than most.

Although I do have an efficient way of reducing the amount I need to put in to fill it, by being a fat ####.

Reply to
R D S

now you're just being silly

Reply to
tim...

It's 2 years in my case IIRC. After my first year, the annual metered water/sewer bill is about half the unmetered (£200 vs £450). But I don't use much water on the garden, and most of the time it's just me in the house.

Reply to
RJH

The Natural Philosopher explained on 28/07/2021 :

So you are the reason we are all having to pay more and have meters..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

R D S expressed precisely :

Pressure washing uses surprisingly little water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jeff Layman has brought this to us :

A similar result here, when we switched several years ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It happens that tim... formulated :

We (two) are around £300 per year, compared to near £600 unmetered.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Agreed. When used with a rotating head to clean paving, my Bosch used about 300l/hour.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

No, that's the people with solar panels on their rooves and windmills on their estates

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a household of 5, we are probably better off sticking with an unmetered supply. At some point I will get around to fitting my own meter (I have already bought it) inside the house, to see how much we actually use. As the kids leave home, the situation may change.

Reply to
Steve Walker

So I have learned to my surprise.

Reply to
R D S

You are wasting obscene amounts of water in a well-known 'dry' area, just to keep irrelevent plants and grass alive. Get Real.

Reply to
Andrew

Is it possible to destroy water (other than by means of some new fission technique)?

I'd have said that the water charges were a carriage charge. It all gets back to nature in the end.

Reply to
JNugent

The annual fixed charge would be £33.71 if they could deal with their own surface water (gutter) drainage and the sewage rate would also drop to 2.7838/m3

They have given you the wrong figures. Water rate is £1.9338/m3 while sewage rate is £3.2938. The latter is always higher than for the actual supply of water, but if they use a lot of water on their garden they should be able to negotiate a discount on sewage, or possibly fit a meter to the garden tap to measure actual outside usage.

Their 6 month bill is £25.07 standing charge, £375 for water and sewage at a combined rate of £5.25/m3. I cannot quickly see the percentage factor used to assess how much supplied water ends up back in the foul sewer (Southern Water assume 92.5%) so I have left it at 100%.

Anyway £373/£5.25 is 71.4 cu metres for 6 months which is many times more than my single person usage, not just about double.

Are they sure that their house gutters are connected to SWW's pipes ?. Investing in a storage tank might be worthwhile. This would reduce their annual bill by about £80 from what I can see.

Reply to
Andrew

Although if you have fitted one of those daft "shower baths" then it will take far more hot water that a typical domestic HWCyl could supply.

Reply to
Andrew

That is pretty close to my usage too.

Reply to
Andrew

The water charges also include sewage charges which assumes that a percentage of the supplied water (typically 92.5%) goes back in the foul sewer. Turnip is not on mains sewage so he only pays for water.

It might get back to nature but to come out of your tap (on demand) requires collection, treatment and distribution, fixing leaks etc. Treatment and distribution uses a lot of electricity too, so it's a double hit for people, (and leaks) who waste water

Reply to
Andrew

It also needs 'cleaning' to ensure it's fit to drink

Reply to
charles