The physics of cars - a question sequence.

That's not a misuse of power - it's just an error of fact!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think you might have some difficulty trying to install a bile engine in a car!

I'm saying that it's the most significant factor. I would expect a diesel car to perform similarly to a petrol car with the same power to weight ratio - as indicated by the figures which someone quoted to other day.

But when you start comparing apples with pears by speculating about putting a bike engine in a car, you are shifting the goalposts more than somewhat. Your hypothetical bike engine probably wouldn't do so well because you wouldn't to able to deliver near maximum power - and I stress the word *power* - to the wheels for as large a proportion of the time.

Reply to
Roger Mills

How about examining the facts and admitting that you're wrong. An egine develops full power at one speed only. Now weasel out of that.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Could be either. But it does prove the point I made earlier. Power can be a general expression used which may be perfectly well understood in a context. But not when discussing the difference between power and torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're not really "into" cars and motoring. are you?

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Really? There are several around. Although more what you'd call sports cars.

They may have a similar 0-60 time or whatever, but how they perform in a single gear is likely very different. The very point I was making about torque versus power.

I was merely commenting on power to weight ratio. That may be a reasonable guide to performance where the engines are similar. But doesn't take into account how the vehicle will perform in a single gear if the engine type varies wildly. For that, you need to know about the torque output of the engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Seems to apply to an awful lot on here. Doesn't stop them thinking they are, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No need to. I've never said anything which is inconsistent with that. I can only assume that you've *mis*-read all my posts on the subject!

Reply to
Roger Mills

In article , Vir Campestris writes

Isn't that where we started?

Reply to
bert

OK - I was thinking of turbo-diesels.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, but didn't we start in ignorance of the gear?

Reply to
Fredxxx

A lot of modern diesels have a flat torque curve. Not a flat power curve.

The few I've driven feel as if the power band is horribly narrow compared to my car - which has peak torque at 4800...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely :P

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris