The carpet on carpet problem

After many decades of frustration with carpets moving/rucking on carpets, I finally have found a solution which works for me without nailing the top one down. Buy a couple of office carpet protectors from Costco and place bumpy side down under the top carpet. You may need to carve them up a bit to get the right size, it works for me and she no longer complains about the problem. The Costco ones are best as they are designed to cope with 400lb americans and are very stiff. The UK ones are frail in comparison.

Reply to
Capitol

What's wrong with just taking the first carpet up before laying the second one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think he means hearth rug type installations. Lts of small carpets are put on fitted ones, and they can be very hazardous. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It acts as underlay. If fitted, The restraint at the edges normally stops any walking.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Correct, who in their right mind would lay a base carpet other than on underlay.

Reply to
Capitol

I've got one from Ikea. It's pretty good quality (far better than Staples' version) but doesn't have bumps. It travels quite enthusiastically across the rug.

Reply to
PeterC

Well back in them old days they obviously did some odd things. when my parents first moved into this house, built in 1939, they wanted to change a couple of carpets, and not having much money decided to do it themselves. On looking under the existing rather worn carpet there was another old carpet and a fitted sheet of rather cracked lino.

In fact although the carpet which was down was a little bumpy due to the other layers, it did stop draughts from coming up from between the floorboards. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff