The best newsgroup around

I subscribe to a number of newgroups, ranging from IT related to health and of course this one.

I have to say that the uk.d-i-y one is by FAR the best.

Brilliant exchange of ideas and genuinely good advice.

A thank you to everyone over the years who has contributed and helped me.

Reply to
S R

I feel the same, although I am not subscribed to any others but I find it a lot better than some of the forums I browse/post to.

Reply to
gremlin_95

I do my best to ruin it by posting s**te.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I started about 11 years before that, with (I think) rn.

But I still think Google Groups is rubbish. Best newsreader (GUI) I ever used was called ProNews/2. These days I use pan.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ooh, willy waving! I started sometime between '81 and '84, with an account (and an email address) at Xerox PARC. Wish I still had it.

I can't recall which newsreasder I was using, but probably xvnews, now long defunct. Last released 2002 and no longer maintained;

"Setting X_NO_ARCHIVE environment variable causes this entry to be added to header of posts."

I did that! Wouldn't do it that way now.

(Snarfs a copy of xvnews for old times sake, lest it goes away.)

That's because it is.

I regard changing newsreaders with the same joy as changing text editors and having abdominal surgery.

Reply to
Huge

I agree. If I'd had the time to port ProNews to BSD, I'd have done it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I certainly wouldn't use GG for any group I could get via a normal newsreader. For one or two it's the only way, sad to say.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I looked into porting xvnews onto Linux. For about 30 seconds.

Reply to
Huge

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Heh. I'm still using trn (one day I'll move on if I really have to :-))

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

There are far less qualified people than you doing that:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A bit later for me. Between 1982 and 1987 with the network administrated by Dave Budd + others at Manchester with a gateway to the nertnet. I'm sure there was come catchy name for it all but damned if I can remember what it was. Later it became JANET.

Reply to
Steve Firth