Testing bell push battery 12 volt

On Wednesday 20 November 2013 11:47 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

More than 4 years in my case.

Reply to
Tim Watts

TLC prices ex VAT

Bare bell 7.60 Transformer 7.00 ===== 14.60

Bell with battery compartment. 10.85

2 x HP2 2.25 ====== 13.10

Obviously the mains one may require extra wire.

The battery unit is also larger and I'd say unsightly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Compared to many yards of trailing bellwire?

A neighbour had a new wireless bell fitted and then found that whenever someone rang it the garage doors (also on a radio remote) opened!

I thought all the modern ones now used almost unique digital codes, but apparently not. I am not that keen on them. Mine is all hardwired.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I was originally talking about doing it all at re-wire time. But it's no different from adding any extra electrical outlet or whatever - except being low voltage, the cable could be safely run under a carpet, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. Given the absence of any handy power supply near our front door a battery one wins hands down!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you're going to site the bell by the front door why bother with one? Just fit a decent knocker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because I live in a mansion and wouldn't hear a knocker from my library.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Obviously that was a rather flippant reply. The serious reason is because we have a porch for insulation purposes and I prefer folk to ring from outside rather than entering our porch first.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You might be flippant, but it was precisely why I installed a wireless bell, so there's one downstairs and one up and I can hear it from my study.

Reply to
Huge

I presume you can't get the wind up doorbells anymore?

I remember them on the forces base married quarters in Bordon, wind up bell on the inside of the door in the middle, a bell push on the outside that operated the cam which held the bell still, when released by the button being depressed the bell rotated, dinging against a sprung knocker thingy,

And of course when you got to the end of the threads the bell fell off and rolled along the halway floor, almost always acompanied by swearing from the occupiers... bod help you if you were a god botherer who had just rung the bell :)

Reply to
Gazz

I'm going to copy an historic mansion nearby, and run a cord from the front door to a large bell upstairs. To go around corners, the cord is attached to brass levers.

Reply to
Matty F