Non-wireless door bell

Some time ago I replaced the old door bell of an elderly relative who is going a bit deaf. I got a wireless system with two chime units, one battery one mains, which could be placed in different parts of the house. When it worked this arrangement was much better, but the reliability has been terrible.

I've had to fix it 4 times in the last couple of months. Sometimes the rubber push has been pushed in too hard (I guess) so it has got misaligned with the microswitch, once this made the push stay on until the battery ran down; sometimes it's not obvious what's wrong, it just doesn't work until I take it the push apart, reassemble, and resynchronise the remote units. At least once the chimes have gone off when there has been nobody there - radio interference I'd guess, or maybe a mains spike. When I tested it yesterday, it wasn't even reliable when the bell-push transmitter was just a foot away from one of the receivers - sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, even though the green LED on the bell-push went on each time.

It's obviously crap, and indeed I think the whole concept of wireless bell pushes is flawed without better quality units. Unfortunately all the units I can see in the shops are made by the same company, Byron, which I will obviously never buy again. I'd like to take the current unit back and demand a refund from the retailer, but after more than a year I guess it's too late.

The old transformer is still there but not plugged in, and much of the old wiring too, so I suppose I can just connect another bell or two, if I can find ones that take the same voltage (6 or 12 volts AC as far as I remember). But I need at least one new loud bell unit, and a new bell-push for the door. Any recommendations?

Reply to
Clive Page

An underdome bell is about as loud a device as you'll get by using a standard bell transformer.

transformers will run two of them.

As regards the push, I'd go for a flush fitting all metal one - you'll often see broken surface mount plastic ones around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Clive - you have raised the main fault which seems to be the displaced rubber membrane. Unfortunately many users do not hear the chime / bell - so push harder in the expectation that something will work and they will hear something.

Byron should do a re-design.

Reply to
John

Unfortunately all

Possibly not the answer you were looking for, however...

Yes, over the last few years I bought two sets of remote control mains adapter sockets, and although it wasn't obvious from the packaging, it turned out they were both made by Byron. They cost around £40, and they were utterly useless, often failing to turn on and off even from a range of about 6 inches. In fact in the application they were used for they were worse than useless they were positively dangerous.

A few months ago I spotted some in Lidl, 4 sockets (two with dimmers) for £15, and they have been absolutely 100 per cent reliable. Fantastic bit of kit - and obviously not Byron.

I got a remote-control doorbell from Aldi a few weeks ago (£6), and although I haven't fitted it yet, I've tested it at lots of locations and ranges and that too seems very reliable. Might be worth you investigating, I know my local branch still has some in stock.

Reply to
Simon C.

Could you fit a conventional (ie reliable) pushbutton unit outside, and wire it to the contacts inside the wireless pushbutton just inside the door?

Reply to
Reentrant

ps .... assuming as John suggests that the membrane switch is the problem.

Reply to
Reentrant

OTOH, the two Byron bells I have work very well...

(Apart from 2 "false" rings in the last 3 years.)

Reply to
Huge

the past 10 years is testament that you are wrong! I put it there when the yaxley switch in the old Westminster chimes doorbell fell apart. The sounder runs off the existing transformer with a diode in series.

Its replacement is high up on SWMBOs list of DIY jobs that I haven't got round to yet.

Reply to
Graham.

Now that is a good idea. Thinking outside of the box as they say.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've had similar trouble with Byron. Friedland are a better brand IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Clive Page explained :

They don't hear a bell sound, so press the button even harder.

The cheapo units are like that, buy a reputable make like Friedland.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I thought the same, wireless door bells are crap. Then someone suggested I tried a friedland.

That was years ago - still works 100%. Never had a rogue ring, never not worked (as far as I know!).

the one we have - it's excellent. There is a plug in mains receiver as well but we've never used that - the battery one is plenty powerful enough (and the batteries seem to last *for ages*).

More expensive, but you get what you pay for. IIRC, homebase used to sell them.

HTH,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

This happens at my parents' house regularly. I've suggested that they move the "push" inside the doorframe and wire it to a normal external bellpush - there's already a hole there as they used to have a wired bell, but replaced it with a wireless one, as my mother is going deaf and needed one in the living-room instead of the hallway.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I am almost deaf and have a Libra+ D934 they are made by Friedland and they are excellent, I have had mine 3 years and have not changed the batteries yet I take it with me around the house even to bed Check these sites for more info SARABEC

100m D913 wireless Doorbell Kit £41 inc vat RNID
wirefree doorchime A231 £45 inc vat some areas supply these through social services as mine was when purchased privately you can get them vat exempt

Reply to
Walt