Termination of shower connection

I have disconnected the shower at the isolation switch and disconnected the electric shower. The cable for the shower although dead is it ok to leave in place behind the plasterboard. I will put a label in at the isolater end (will put a blank plate on) stating the location.

This be ok?

Reply to
ss

As long as you remove the outgoing cable from the isolator - or at least disconnect, stick the ends in a choc-block and put back in isolator enclosure.

No need for notes then.

You must assume that the isolator will be mistakenly operated - hence the need to disconnect the outgoing cable.

Unless you can make the far end safe (terminated, in an enclosure, not just behind the plasterboard).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd connect line to neutral at the shower end just in case some numpty decided to connect it again. The mcb will trip and he will have to investigate further. Not sure what regs and pros might say about this but it is what I'd do!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

OK correct me if I am wrong:

I have switched off the shower circuit at the CU (previous post still to disconnect) at the isolator switch I have disconnected both incoming (from CU) and outgoing (to shower). I have then put all the cables seperately in to a connector block so all cables are isolated from each other. I will then put a blanking plate on the isolator switch so it cant be tswitched on. At the shower end although there is no incoming power I have put the live/neutral/earth in to a connector block (seperately).

I am thinking if at some future stage someone wants to convert back to an electric shower then the cables are in place with labels to explain what I have done.

Reply to
ss

That's pretty much what I'd do if I thought a future occupier might want to re-instate the circuit. TBH though, since both ends of the cable are disconnected and labelled, I'd bunch the wires together at each end and wrap them up with a few layers of SA tape for good measure, adding the phrase "wires bunched" to the label. Anyone, qualified or not, thinking of reconnecting and using it is bound to at least test with a multimeter if only to prove/verify where the other end of the cable is. You can't protect deranged fools from their own incompetence no matter what you do so I wouldn't lose any sleep over possible future consequences.

It might be argued that you *could* protect even a deranged fool from your quite reasonable "mothballing" of that now redundant circuit by removing temptation with a stout pair of side cutters but that seems too much like vandalism to me (and, no doubt to you, since you asked the question about how to decommission the circuit so as to leave it in a safe state). If the labels look like they'll last long enough for you to be safely in your grave before they become illegible, then, imo, it's "Job Done"(tm). :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Its a laser printer and I even checked to make sure there was sufficient longivity with the ink. Labels should be legible for decades after I am gone. :-)

Reply to
ss