tensioning webbing straps

I'm looking for an alternative, or a different design, for a cam buckle to tighten a 25mm webbing strap. With the metal cam buckles I currently have I cannot get enough tension in the strap.

With this type as the tension in the strap gets tight the friction between the buckle and strap becomes too great for it to be tightened any further. Are there any other types that work better. I only need a tiny bit more tension in the strap.

I've experimented with a 25mm mini ratchet tensioner and while they work well they are mechanically too large.

I've seen US adverts for roller cam buckles that claim to allow tightening to x4 to x10 better than conventional buckle but they are i) very expensive, ii) don't ship to the UK and iii) don't seem to have many stockists in the USA (and none in the UK or Europe).

Reply to
alan

ebay 180985764853

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

My experience with this stuff ranges from strapping loads onto the roofs of cars and lashing double-basses together while the glue dries. I'm using normal polypropolene webbing and the buckles in your first example. I don't know what you are using it for or why the mini ratchet tensioner is too large in your situation but I'm inclined to think that a limiting factor is the stretchiness of the polypropolene webbing rather more than the friction on the buckle.

I "lock" the buckle end of the webbing against a corner while I stretch the rest of the webbing round. It takes several goes to take up all the slack. In the final stages I grab the taut webbing running through the buckle and pull it towards the buckle whilst at the same time pulling the slack away from the buckle on the other side. However tight it is pulled there's always some elasticity and I've never met a situation yet when I can't get my hand between the webbing and the load to grip it for that final shove.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Maybe something like this this?

(commonly called spansets but I can't find them under that name)

Reply to
The Other Mike

I have knee pads with the first type of buckle on them and one would consistently loosen. I reckoned the pinch area was too great so I inserted a small cable tie into it and that did the job.

Reply to
fred