Television Headset Connecting

Hi all, I could not find a direct group so hoped someone could point me to one, or hopefully be able to suggest something.

I live in a block of flats, that has such a noise problem that I use headphones nearly all the time to be able to listen to my TV and not other peoples.

I currently have a Samsung LCD TV set, with a 20" screen. I have sent it back to Samsung once to have the headphone lead connector repaired because it fail, But it is now faulty again, and I cannot get any sound at all with the headphone disconnected and have to keep twisting it with them connected.

I have asked in our local TV supply shops, if there are any TV sets with a more robust heavy duty headphone connector for continual use, but have not had any success. Would anyone know if such a set is made, I am happy to have any make of TV. Thanks for reading, Mick.

Reply to
Mick Cant

Why not get wireless headphones? I've seen them in the past but can't remember where (maybe CPC or Maplins) and I'm not even sure if they are radio or infra-red, but the point is, the transmitter side of it can be left plugged into the telly all the time - no more in/out, in/out - and you can even move around freely without being corded to the telly all the time. Google wireless headphones and you should find a solution.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Doesn't really help, I'd have thought. It's not entirely clear whether the failures are due to mechanical strain, in which case an anchor for the cable, before the plug, and a longer cable, would help.

If it's the repeated plugging/unplugging, this is presumably because the headphones are not always in use. I was going to suggest a short 'stub' of cable with a plug and sacrificial socket, but there is one big problem with that, as with your suggestion...leaving something plugged in usually mutes the main TV speaker.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On solution would be to move!

It sounds like the socket is knackered. Not only does it make connection to the plug, but will typically incorporate a switch that is designed to signal the TV to turn off the main speaker.

This should not be too difficult to have repaired - certainly within the realms of DIY if you can wield a soldering iron.

If you always use headphones then why not leave them connected? Or go for one of the wireless options. Using a headphone extension lead would allow you to disconnect the 'phones without putting strain on the TV's socket.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you don't mind having the TV sound on as well as the headphones, then you could connect a headphone amplifier (wired or wireless) to the SCART socket at the back of the telly and use that - most newish upmarket tellies will output the sound on SCART or line out.

Some tellies allow separate volume control of speaker and headphone volume, for people with a hearing impairment, obviously those don't cut off the speakers when a headphone plug is inserted.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You could try using subtitles. We don't have the TV loud enough for me to be able to hear it clearly all the time so I find that subtitles, lip-reading and what I can hear make a very complete viewing experience. The subtitles on freeview are generally pretty good, although some "cheaper" stations (like ITV4) don't always have subtitles on the programs (and live subtitling is a right pain in the arse). It was irritating having the subtitles at first but it's bloody marvellous now.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I'm sure that I've seen wireless headphones where the transmitter connects to the TV's line-out or scart connector, leaving the speaker(s) under normal independent volume control.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:47:13 +0100, "Mick Cant" mused:

Depending on what model of TV you have you could use the line out phono sockets on the back instead. I've just fitted a Samsung 23" LCD and it has these connectors and also an option in the menu to mute the internal speakers only.

Reply to
Lurch