Telephone Cabling

The newer ones are much easier, because there are terminals specially for extensions as you said remove the socket part feed your wire in.

You don't have to touch the telephone's company wires, well infact you do to remove the box to feed your extension wire in but just don't tell them.

I couldn't find oen of these new boxes I thought only the telephone cos had them. Luckily I found one in a skip.

Reply to
Yitzak

There is a knock out in the centre of the detachable front panel, but I have never seen it used...

You won't find them in DIY sheds but most electrical/electronic places have 'em. CPC, RS etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well it's got CW1308 printed on the label on the reel, after stripping back about a metre there were no twists evident

Reply to
bof

The label is lying or you have a very badly manufactured reel. What colours are the cores?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Is there a spec for CW1308 twisting? A few years back after discovering the reel of CW1308 I had was untwisted, or at best extremely lightly twisted, I tried to find a spec but couldn't.

Reply to
bof

There must be,

denies any knowledge of "cw1308", stupid marketing puff, nothing the BT SINs. Google doesn't produce much uselful information either.

I've just had a dig about and can't find anything directly relating to CW1308 but that cable appears to be pretty much Cat3 (or not...). This is an interesting read:

Dave Liquorice

Having just found the spool they are orange/white, white/orange, blue/white, white/blue

I just stripped back 2m and no twists evident.

Reply to
bof

Can't see that being anything other than UK telephone cable.

The twists on older telephone cable are pretty gentle. I've got some 10 pair stuff where 5 use red as one colour, 5 white. And then 5 colours to identify the others, but obviously related to the red or white other. And you've got to be careful to pick the correct pair - I usually strip back about 1 metre to make sure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well that's what I originally bought it for, but it's definitely marked as being CW1308.

On a not entirely unrelated note, the old GPO cable used to have paper insulation, the pairs were identified by having sets of 1, 2, 3 or 4 printed rings, the 4 rings were printed 4 times further apart than the 1 rings to keep the cable capacitance equal.

Reply to
bof

CW1308 colours rather than "alarm" cable colours (black, red, white, green, yellow, blue...) which isn't twisted and normally stranded rather than solid.

Wanders off to my drum of CW1308...

The pairs are twisted around each other at about 1 twist per 7" and each pair roughly one twist every 2.5".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice